Does This Sound OK?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by indianwells, Sep 30, 2010.

1. indianwells

indianwells

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    So I have three beautifully fresh Halibut steaks. I'm planning to serve them simply grilled with buttered spinach, garlic & rosemary cubed roast potatoes and a remoulade sauce made with light mayo on the side. Will the sauce work? I don't want a heavy cream sauce to overpower the flavour of the fish. Thanks in advance!

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would not serve a cold sauce with a hot fish(other then Tartar sauce with shrimp) I might do a lemon dill Beurre Blanc. or an Aurora, or Merengo type.

3. indianwells

indianwells

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    That did occur to me. Maybe bake it with a simple tomato sauce?

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh my gawd I love halibut.  I love your idea of the remoulade but I think you could perk it up a little bit by incorporating some roasted red pepper in it, and going light on the garlic.  Remoulade is a perfect accompaniment for fish, and it can be served on the side so you can use as much or as little as you like with the fish rather than pouring on a heavy sauce.  The only thing that may be overpowering may be the rosemary in the potatoes.  Either use much less or switch to a more delicate herb like oregano or tarragon.  Maybe it's just me but I refer to rosemary as a heavy duty herb for lamb and pork.

Can I come over for dinner? 

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I think you can serve a fresh salsa with the fish.  In a sense, the salsa will "make" the sauce by itself.

6. indianwells

indianwells

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi KouKouvagia, in the end I made a tomato sauce by sauteeing some onion, garlic and a couple of anchovy fillets until soft. I then added a couple of tins of San Marzano tomatoes and a little dried oregano. Once reduced I seasoned and poured over the halibut then baked in a hot oven for 20 minutes. I agree about the rosemary but I only use a pinch to get a hint of flavour. It turned out beautifully and I shall definitely do it again. Next time I may use my favourite fish, Hake and i'll set an extra place!!.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
    koukouvagia likes this.
  7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Try adding some capers and chopped or sliced black and green olives to it.

8. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       Nice!

dan