Does Saffron Go Bad? cooking ideas....

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Feb 14, 2015.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Found a bottle in my spice draw that must be many years old. Read it doesn't go bad just loss flavor. I know about using this in rice any liquid dish yellow color is fine. I wad thinking of grinding it up in bread crumbs used on chicken or other meats. Would the juices from the meat bring out the color & flavor of the saffron while cooking or would it be lost? Just wondering

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It should still give color. As to flavor, probably not so much. 

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Its called SAFFRON

4. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Didn't notice the spelling, big fingers on a little tablet keyboard. Ordered Spanish Saffron by Safrante from igourmet half price sale. Lot of stuff read on saffron seams it's a love or leave it kind of spice. Lot hated the taste saying taste like plastic and you could get the yellow color from another spice with more flavor just don't remember the name.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Annato seed (or Achiote) gives a more orange color (often used to make cheese orange).  It is a Latin American spice used a lot in southern Mexican cooking.  Nice flavor but nothing like saffron at all.  I love saffron, but it can be off-putting if used with too heavy a hand.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    nicko likes this.
  6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    turmeric

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    more flavor than saffron? I don't think so. I love turmeric, both fresh and powder, but Saffron is in a class of its own. 

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    flipflopgirl likes this.
  8. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You can try to revitalize the flavour profile by toasting it in a hot oven on aluminum foil for a few moments. Then either pound it in a mortar or steep in warm liquid. It usually takes four hours to get maximum extraction warm water. It will usually last in a cool, dry place out of light for a couple of years.

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So do you have a possible answer to his query?

10. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    When I bake chicken thighs/cutlets before breading brush sides with mayo. Figured its like a egg&milk wash and bread crumbs stick to it. For pork chops I mix some apple juice into the mayo to give them hint of apple flavor. Bread crumbs are made from grinding up stove stop corn bread stuffing, or ritzs crackers or bag croutons also use panko bread crumbs. Most of the its a mix of them all so since I found the saffron figured why not, if anything the oil in the mayo would bring out the yellow color.

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    No. I don't think anything has more flavor than saffron. The query has no answer. 

12. homecook2014

homecook2014

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Saffron is well known in this world to give a yellowy colour and not so much flavour. It is the most expensive spice in the world and is like goldust in the UK.

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There are many different grades of saffron

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Then you have either never eaten good saffron or  purchased real old stuff., because it has a very distinct flavor and aroma as well as color

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    +1. 

16. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    +2

17. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    It comes from crocus plant I think. Can we get saffron from crocus bulbs we plant in the yard? How many strans do you need?

18. fablesable

fablesable

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    @Dagger   Saffron specifically comes from the purple crocus plant (crocus sativus) that is cultivated and grown in very specific regions in the world. It is the most difficult to harvest as it can only be done by hand when the flower blooms in the morning and then dies off during the day. It has a small window of harvest around three weeks in the fall AND the flower itself only has three stigmas to harvest per flower....talk about timing and intensive harvesting....lol
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

19. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  20. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook