Does pros preasure cook vegetables/food?

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
Hey, how do you guys feel about preasure cookers, is a it gimmick and beat by regular steaming, or is it something must have in decent kitchens? Im mostly talking about vegetables and such. And in terms of keep nutrients and all that?
Do professionals and good resturants use them?

Last edited:
Joined Aug 15, 2003
I use mine all the time. I'll leave it up to you if you think I work in a good restaurant.

It's definitely not a gimmick, it has a plethora of legit uses.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I like my pressure cooker a lot. The nutrient claim is misplaced imho. It's no better or worse than anything else really.

Some nutrients, mostly various B vitamins and C are water soluble. So things cooked wet can lose some of that nutrition to the liquid. If you consume that liquid, theyre not lost, so soups and braises are good for vegies. Additionally, some of those bitamins are also heat sensitive, and a pressure cooker gets hotter than other wet methods. Steaming also causes some loss though less than a fully wet method.

But few of us, if any here, are in a nutrient challenged condition where that's even a concern. The hype on nutrient retention is really marketing hype imho.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
I use pressure cookers professionally. They are awesome for what they can do. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are so hard to control; I can never get the exact same result twice.

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
So why is it better preasure cookings vegetable than steaming them? For me nutrition is important, cause i eat too little vegetable, they are expensive where i live, and theyre not my favourite, so when i eat vegetables i want to get 100% max out of them

Last edited:
Joined Jan 25, 2013
So why is it better preasure cookings vegetable than steaming them? For me nutrition is important, cause i eat too little vegetable, they are expensive where i live, and theyre not my favourite, so when i eat vegetables i want to get 100% max out of them
pressure cooking is not better or worse than steaming, just faster. if nutrition is a big deal, eat the vegetables raw especially all cabbage family members. keep any left over vegetable broth for soups or stews.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I use mine mostly for making stocks, broth, cooking beans, etc. It's good for octopus, quickly braising a pork shoulder or other tough cuts. I don't usually use it for cooking vegetables (I use other methods for that).

Some people use it for risotto bases as well...there are lots of uses.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I don't use a pressure cooker but if I did I wouldn't cook vegetables in it. I think they're better for braises and stocks and quickly braising meat that normally requires a long time to cook. I prefer to steam, sautee, or roast vegetables.

Anyway, what are you trying to cook in there?

oddwine

Banned
Joined Sep 10, 2017
So steaming vegetables would be better?
What makes meat good in pressure cooker? when u sous vide a chicken on low temp for a long time it gets good, but prssure cooker is reverse, higher temp and faster time?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It's a way to accelerate a braise, especially to make though cuts tender, though you can also steam.

You'll also see stews where your cook the meat half way. Release pressure, add hard veggies, cook a bit, release pressure, add tender veggies and finish.

Top Bottom