Does It Irritate You?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by raibeaux, Nov 2, 2016.

1. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Another random thought from a random mind.  Does it irritate you to death for grocery stores to be selling product cheaper than you can buy it from your supplier?  Drives me nuts. 

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes it does. Even with time and gas added, it becomes cheaper by the month.
    In my neck of the woods Sysco charges every place here a surcharge because they must use a car ferry to get here.
    They rake in the bucks. The semi-trailer costs $35.00 to cross but they charge $35.00 for EVERY venue here.... like 6 places...WDF

3. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think maybe what the future looks like is, the only choices consumers are going to have will be which chain restaurant to frequent.  My customers keep up with prices just like I do.  When prices decline over a period of time at grocery stores, they expect prices at restaurants to decline as well (which they do at chains).  If our suppliers continue to hold the high prices or lower them only fractionally, the customer looks to me to explain why everyone's prices are lower (grocery stores) but mine haven't dropped.  Good luck explaining that your supplier's prices haven't changed or are only marginally lower.

As for the surcharges, if gas dropped to .25 per gallon I'm betting the surcharge would still be there!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Just one among many things. Pepsi charges me $15 cs (12ct) for this stuff, my corner market sells it at their regular price for $9.18

5. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Wow. I thought it was just me. I remember about 7 years ago asking my Sysco rep why they sold vinegar at $18 a case when I could go to the local supermarket and get it for half the price.  That process of discovery continued with a number of other products and I eventually dropped them completely.  The price difference was so great I figured out it would have been worth getting a pickup truck as a company vehicle and making the trip once a week to buy everything elsewhere. 

The sales rep brought the pricing manager down to explain when they saw how much my order was dropping but he didn't have a good explanation. I even began questioning my understanding of the terms wholesale and retail. About six months after we sold the restaurant, a Restaurant Depot opened nearby. I almost cried when I saw the prices. 

6. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    A while back I ordered a case of 4/1G vinegar from US.  $38!

Yesterday, I opened a box (6/4#) of 21/25 green shrimp.  Contained 3.3# in the box, which is four pounds loss per case of 6.

24 oz catsup is almost double grocery store price.

etc.

etc.

etc.

etc.

After 45 years of snooping, I know what's going on, but too long to repeat here.  Besides, most of those on this forum know what's happening anyway with the spiffs, rebates, etc.

After all these years, I'm betting buyers are still drinking single-malt Scotch at Christmas  <[ : ^ )

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  7. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When it comes to buying groceries from the big boys size matters. When I had one account I couldn't get good pricing. The best way to explain it is, when I started my business I called them. When I expanded my business they called me. Some of the companies I worked with even remolded an existing account to fit my needs when I took over the account. If your a little guy don't expect low prices. In the early years of my business we would check the store ads for specials. My wife would say "There's a sale on pork chops or Chicken quarters" lets stock up. It is what it is. I couldn't even tell you how many trips I made to the bread store......

8. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yeah, I know.  Texas Toast from my bread man $2.46.....from WalMart, about a buck.  The TT was increased from .97 a few weeks after switching bread companies.