Does fresh water go bad?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
The reason I ask is I have this water in a Camelbak that I never cleaned from last year.  I wonder if it's safe to drink.  I'm going to clean it of course but I'm just wondering.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It's probably pretty manky. Depending on the chlorination levels of your water, it will keep for a couple of months. You'll probably want to invest in some cleaning supplies for the bladder and tube. Many use denture tablets and report reasonable results. If you have silver impregnated tube and bladder, that really helps too.

For the tube, a swab of some sort is handy. Camelback sells a kit that simplifies things.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Yes it will go bad. I don't know that particular container but I'm surprised to hear that water could hold for 2 months. I'm using a filtering water jug here and if we don't clean it and keep fresh tap water in it for about a week we can see green stuff starting to grow inside. Might not kill you but it's not a pretty sight. 

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
It didn't seem bad when I cracked it open.  Nothing floating in it at all.  I even drank some before I cleaned it out!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Heh if I'm not here next week you'll know what happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom