Does blue cheese make your other cheese moldy?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Apr 10, 2014.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I found out that an old friend went and became a cheesemaker in Vermont.  He was telling me once a cave is used for blue cheese it can't be used for anything else.

I wonder if storing blue cheese in the same drawer as my other cheeses will make them moldy?   Better yet I wouldn't mind if it all became blue cheese!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

2. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Is it pre-wrapped?  If so, remove it from the wrapper, wrap in butcher paper, tape allowing for some air.  Store it on a separate refrigerator shelf with some room around it.  Check for mold every few days, wipe or cut it off & re-wrap.  Do not place near other cheeses.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    In a modern kitchen, bleu cheese shouldn't impact your other cheeses in general.  Modern storage methods will keep things pretty well separated. If you store your cheeses together unseparated, then you could get some transfer.

The original bleu cheese was a cave storage accident. Modern bleu cheese is inoculated with the bacteria on a needle. You can see the lines in the cheese from the needle and the veins stretch out into the cheese from there.  And generally they're ripened in controlled rooms. There's simply too much loss to rely on the cave method alone. 

I think the claim regarding the cave molding any other cheese has more to the story. Different types of cheeses need different types of curing. Generally, a mold/bacterial ripened cheese is about having one specific strain outcompete the other bacteria present and properly ripen the cheese. I don't think that a wheel of Parmesan would easily mold in a bleu cheese cave. It's too dry and salty to support the bleu cheese mold well. How Parmesan would react to a humid cool cave is another question. Conversely, Parm is ripened much differently and blue cheese wouldn't survive that either. 

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I would suspect the cave itself was the source of the mold and the cheese is just an excuse.

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That is correct. In fact @kuan  when I took a cheese making course a few years ago we made bleu and the man told us that you have to be very cautious otherwise you will only be making different varieties of bleu. He said he has had people ask him what they do because they have the bleu mold strain in their home and when the make chevre or brie it has the similarities to bleu because some of the mold gets in the home's air.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So I wonder what kind of blue cheese home it is that I live in.    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

I hope it's some kind of cabrales-ish.