does anyone have any good tried and true recipes on how to make a Cobb salad?

Joined Mar 22, 2002
I saw a cooking episode on how to make a Cobb salad, but they went through the directions so fast I couldn't write everything down... I'm sure it's simple but I didn't get everything. Could someone help me with a good recipe?

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Traditionally, a Cobb salad is made with chicken. Here's one with beef if you prefer a little more substance.

Grilled Beef Tenderloin Cobb Salad

1 shallot, minced
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 1/3 cups peeled and diced red and yellow tomatoes
8 cups mesclun mix
8 slices prosciutto, julienned
16 quail eggs, soft-boiled, peeled, and quartered
1 1/3 cups diced avocado
8 ounces beef tenderloin, grilled, cooled and diced
1 1/3 cups crumbled blue cheese
12 grilled scallions, chilled and chopped
4 tablespoons 1-inch pieces chives

method—To prepare the vinaigrette: Place the shallot and lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, fold in the chopped chives, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

To prepare the tomatoes: Toss the diced tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper.

To prepare the greens: Toss the mesclun mix with half of the vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper.

assembly—Arrange some of the mesclun greens to create a bed in the center of each plate. Arrange some of the prosciuttos in a vertical line along the far left side of the greens. Next to the prosciuttos, arrange some of the quail eggs, avocado, tomatoes, beef tenderloin, blue cheese, and scallions each in individual vertical lines to completely cover the mesclun mix. Top with freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle with the chive pieces. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad.

wine notes—This is a fun salad to eat and requires a fun wine. Strict flavor pairing is not always needed; sometimes eating and drinking for pure enjoyment is in order. Try a fruit forward style of Merlot like Robert Sinskey Vineyard or Cuvaison, both from the Napa Valley.

(excerpt from Kitchen Sessions, Charlie Trotter)

Joined Feb 11, 2002
Cherisa-
Here is the original version of the Cobb Salad- it was invented by
Robert H. Cobb, one of the original owners of the Brown Derby .
It comes from a book entitled "Hollywood du Jour - Lost Recipes of Legendary Hollywood Haunts" by Betty Goodwin

Original Cobb Salad

1/2 head of iceberg lettuce
1/2 bunch watercress
1 small bunch chicory
1/2 head romaine
2 medium tomatoes. peeled
2 breasts of boiled roasting chicken
6 strips of crisp bacon
1 avocado
3 hard cooked eggs
2 tbs.chopped chives
1/2 cup crumbled imported Roquefort cheese
1 cup Brown Derby Old Fashioned French Dressing (recipe following)

Cut finely lettuce, watercress, chicory and romaine and arrange in salad bowl. Cut tomatoes in half, remove seeds. dice finely, and arrange over top of chopped greens. Dice chicken breasts and arrange over chopped greens.
Chop bacon finely and sprinkle over the salad. Cut the avocado in small pieces and arrange over the edge of the salad. Decorate the salad by sprinkling over the top the chopped eggs, chopped chives, and crumbled cheese. Just before serving mix the salad thoroughly with French Dressing.
Seves 4-6

Brown Derby Old Fashioned French Dressing

1 cup water
1 cup red wine vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. English mustard
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup olive oil
3 cups salad (vegetable oil)

Blend together all ingredients except oils.Then add olive oil and salad oils and mix well again. Chill. Shake before serving.
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

Obviously you can play with the various componets, but to my mind the original is the best - Enjoy!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom