Does anyone have a punching bag in the kitchen!

Do you wish you had a punching bag near your kitchen?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No...That's stupid!

• Eh, this is a dumb question.

• Total voters
Joined Jun 12, 2011
Ok so every one knows that some days in the kitchen, things don't go like we wish they would. Everyone has seen someone storm off and hit a door, a box in the walk-in, slam something. But I am thinking it would be great to have a punching bag, just for those really crappy days! I am going to hit people up for a collection. Offer it to FOH and BOH staff as needed!!

Joined Feb 23, 2011
I used to throw red bliss potatoes up against a brick wall and pretend they were heads smashing/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Joined May 8, 2009
Funny thing about a box of #2 reds, you can kick them until all your toes are broken, and you won't have a single bruised potato.

Breaking down an empty box of romas is pretty satisfying too.

Back in my younger days, pre-rolled enchiladas made a satisfying splat on the walk-in door.

Older self would have totally canned (or caned) my @ss for that.

Joined Aug 21, 2009
More than once at my short lived last job I envisioned the griddle flying out the kitchen door and what stopped me and the other cooks from doing it is that some poor innocent bystander would have had a griddle to the head and have no idea why.  (besides the inner rage that came from doing eggs for a restaurant using home griddles)   No one ever did it though bit it was quite the source of anger for us. 

Joined May 29, 2011
At one of the places I worked about 10 years ago we had the freezer inside the walk-in... I used to go it there and just scream. i have a VERY loud booming voice that carries VERY well. It was the only safe place for me to go that I would not be heard. Of course this was then I was a server... so I had to have that happy "vibe" at all times... it was the only way I could make it through some days. I would also, like you said, punch fry boxes... not as a cook I would not suggest that to anyone as it makes it a PITA to deal with when it is ready to use. 

I think a heavy bag would be amazing in a kitchen... maybe even a speed bag as it makes a very satisfying noise when it is being worked.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
We have an inept waiter from Barcelona named Manuel/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Joined Jun 14, 2011
   my last line cook job, i requested off 3 months in advance to go to my mother-in-laws wedding. when the day came and they made the schedule, i was sheduled to work a double. i went to my executive chef and politely asked what the deal was. she told me her husband and her made dinner reservations and i needed to cover her line shift. i explained the situation to her, it eventually ended with "am i supposed to give a shit about your mother-in-law? you're working, deal with it". i am a very subordinate employee. i do whatever is asked of me. but this was the straw that broke the camel's back. i then walked onto the line opened the doors to the deep friers, opened the front dump valves, leaving her around 25 gallons of oil to clean off of the floor. i wonder if she made it to dinner on time.....

Joined Jan 2, 2007
   my last line cook job, i requested off 3 months in advance to go to my mother-in-laws wedding. when the day came and they made the schedule, i was sheduled to work a double. i went to my executive chef and politely asked what the deal was. she told me her husband and her made dinner reservations and i needed to cover her line shift. i explained the situation to her, it eventually ended with "am i supposed to give a shit about your mother-in-law? you're working, deal with it". i am a very subordinate employee. i do whatever is asked of me. but this was the straw that broke the camel's back. i then walked onto the line opened the doors to the deep friers, opened the front dump valves, leaving her around 25 gallons of oil to clean off of the floor. i wonder if she made it to dinner on time.....
Now that's what I call going out in style!!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

Top Bottom