Does anyone else here find globals difficult to sharpen?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by halmstad, Mar 22, 2014.

1. halmstad

halmstad

Exp:
    Line Cook
    All of my other knives get a great edge on them. The one knife I have difficulty with is the Global G-2. It's not bad to use on the line during service and I can get a reasonable edge on it, but it doesn't keep. I can never seem to develop a burr when sharpening. Still I get a decent edge that won't last for more than a couple weeks.

Am I the only one?

2. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Naw, it's not just you.  Globals are notoriously stubborn with regard to sharpening.  I haven't found it hard to raise a burr, but getting rid of it is another matter.  To be honest with the gear I have no knife is very hard to sharpen but if I didn't have a belt grinder I'm not sure I'd touch a Global.  Even when I do them on stones I always deburr on a 1" x 42" leather belt after getting a burr on my arato (usually a 140 grit Atoma).

Realistically though I generally just do Shun and Global knives from start to finish on a belt grinder.  It does a good job and those knives aren't worth the effort of hand sharpening IMOHO.

3. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There's really nothing wrong with the convex edge, IMOHO.  It does help the edge retention.  Plus, it lets me sharpen them on belts without feeling one bit guilty.