Dodgy food storage

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Hey guys!
This is my first time posting. I have a specific safe food handling scenario i need to sort out and thought speaking with real culinary experts would give me the best results. Here we go,

i work in a little cafe/bar in a little town. I've been there 9 months and our employee turnover isn't great, we recently brought in a new chef to take over the kitchen manager duties. My issue is that he likes to cut corners, and demands I do the same. Most of the time its a go along to get along sort of procedure but recently (on our busiest live entertainment nights) hes demanded that I pre blanch our beer battered fish. My main concern is that hours before the product will be sold its been half cooked and stored on a "rack n roll" tray holder. Sometimes this method of storage lasts 3-4 hours. My safe food handling training has a red flag going off somewhere in my head, but the more i fight him on this subject the more trouble I cause for myself. I'm compiling a list of references from government backed websites and texts to strengthen my argument, and though the opinions of other culinary professionals might boost my defense.
any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
It'd be okay if you store that in the fridge.
Viola! Problem solved! :)

Ok...I get the blanching idea to save some time. But, why the insistence that the fish be stored on a "rack-n-roll" next to the fryer and not in the cooler? Is there no walk-in cooler or is it too small?? *confused*

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Don't argue with the chef. I'm off to work now so I'll return for a longer response later.

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Viola! Problem solved! :)

Ok...I get the blanching idea to save some time. But, why the insistence that the fish be stored on a "rack-n-roll" next to the fryer and not in the cooler? Is there no walk-in cooler or is it too small?? *confused*

We do have a walk in cooler, its not big enough for the rack nor the individual sheet trays, however, if we put the product in sealing containers they would store well stacked on the shelves. That might just be my answer so long as the moisture doesn't effect the breading. I'll bring this up as a compromise. Thanks.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi SaltyRose,

The number one rule in food service is DO NOT GET ANYONE SICK !!

A chefs primary responsibility is to serve safe food. He does this by adapting recipes to meet equipment capacities, staff abilities, refrigeration assets, etc.

Is the owner that uninformed regards food safety? From what you have said, your concerns are very legitimate but...

Be sneaky, not confrontational.

Since I don't know all factors, maybe offering an item, not on your normal menu, that is only available on live entertainment nights could solve everyones issues. Then it becomes a point for customers that you can only get "that" when they have entertainment. Your Chef should have something in his repertoire that meets rapid production, desirable to customers, meets food and labor cost goals AND is safe to serve.

"Hey Chef, what are some favorite things you have made at other jobs? Wow! That would be a great thing to offer on Friday and Saturdays when we get slammed!" Sliced roasted Pork, Beef, or Lamb on bread with a great sauce/gravy? Or something like Carnitas?

You just made it HIS idea and he will like that... No dodgy fish and no confrontation either!

Psychological warfare...

Just some thoughts from the fringe of reality! LOL!

Latest posts

Top Bottom