Chef Forum banner

Do you salt to taste rather than measure?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  chef bilby 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[h1]Do you salt to taste rather than measure?[/h1]
I would love to hear your thoughts!

Chef Janet

#3 · (Edited)
In most cooking there are too many variables affecting taste for measurements of

salt to mean much; an 8th teaspoon this time will taste different than next time.

Same applies to pepper and other spices.

Its not a formula for fuel, its food, and it all travels across the taste buds. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

#6 ·
Both I guess... When I'm making pretty much anything that would need more than a couple of tablespoons, I will measure, then adjust to taste at the end. All of my recipes are written to be light on salt, so that I can be more flexible with the seasoning. I also will measure less salt when following other recipes for the same reason. As far as pan sauces, or small batches go, measurements aren't all that necessary. Although, I did receive for a gift, a set of measuring spoons, that measure smidgen, pinch, and dash. I always thought it would be a kick to bring them to work and tell the guys that they have to use them!

Baking is baking.

#7 ·
Other then in baking which in my opinion is a balanced chemical formula. I can truly say I have never measured an herb or spice in my life when cooking. I go strictly by taste.As that's how I learned.

#10 ·
This is one point that I do not agree with the schools. In baking yes measure. Cooking by taste. Show the students by putting a teaspoon or tablespoon of salt in you hand and show them about how much that is. We do it with a pinch why not all? Taste as you go.thats how you learn

#11 ·
To taste.

I will build a recipe, tracking the seasoning, then write it down for consistency in batch cooking.

The biggest mistake I see is when people multiply the recipe and automatically multiply the salt by the same amount.

#13 ·
Taste for me all the way !!

Except as others have said - Baking !! Thats messing with Chemistry there everything else is a free for all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.