Do you salt to taste rather than measure?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef janet, Oct 29, 2012.

1. chef janet

chef janet

Exp:
    Professional Chef

Do you salt to taste rather than measure?

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Chef Janet

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    With the exception of baking, yes.

3. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    In most cooking there are too many variables affecting taste for measurements of

salt to mean much; an 8th teaspoon this time will taste different than next time.

Same applies to pepper and other spices.

Its not a formula for fuel, its food, and it all travels across the taste buds. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. thomas rhee

thomas rhee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cooking... yes.

Baking... no.

5. crosi

crosi

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If I am seasoning, I do salt to taste.  If the quality of cooks is unreliable, I rather use the recipe with exact measurements in grams or ounces so we can set the standard and I do the final check.

6. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Both I guess... When I'm making pretty much anything that would need more than a couple of tablespoons, I will measure, then adjust to taste at the end. All of my recipes are written to be light on salt, so that I can be more flexible with the seasoning. I also will measure less salt when following other recipes for the same reason. As far as pan sauces, or small batches go, measurements aren't all that necessary. Although, I did receive for a gift, a set of measuring spoons, that measure smidgen, pinch, and dash. I always thought it would be a kick to bring them to work and tell the guys that they have to use them!

Baking is baking.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Other then in baking which in my opinion is a balanced chemical formula. I can truly say I have never measured an herb or spice in my life when cooking. I go strictly by taste.As that's how I learned.

8. wvman2374

wvman2374

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    On the line, by taste and/or sight.  No time to play with measuring spoons.

Prep, it depends.  A larger recipe might call for measured amounts, but still need to taste to finish.  Mostly by taste though.

Baking, by measurement.    

9. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Always by taste.

I even taste my bread dough before it is cooked, then again I don't measure anything else in my bread dough either... dump mix and correct.  

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This is one point that I do not agree with the schools. In baking yes measure. Cooking by taste. Show the students by putting a teaspoon or tablespoon of salt in you hand and show them about how much that is. We do it with a pinch why not all? Taste as you go.thats how you learn

11. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To taste.

I will build a recipe, tracking the seasoning, then write it down for consistency in batch cooking.

The biggest mistake I see is when people multiply the recipe and automatically multiply the salt by the same amount.

12. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's a great point.

13. chef bilby

chef bilby

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Taste for me all the way !!

Except as others have said - Baking !! Thats messing with Chemistry there everything else is a free for all