Do you remember the first cook book you ever bought?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by volupta, Mar 7, 2010.

1. volupta

volupta

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    The first cook book I bought was called Real Food by Nigel Slater, I had just moved out at the tender age of 21 and I saw the TV show linked to this book. I would go as far as to say this started a real love affair with food for me.

If any of you lovely ladies and gentlemen purchase it I really recommend the sausages in onion gravy - it is out of this world.

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Can't remember the first one I personally bought. But the first one I ever owned was given to me by my then girlfriend in 1961. It was Tomi Gami's Typical Japanese Cooking.

Still have the book.....and the girl.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  3. b.adams

b.adams

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mine is River Road Recipes, The Textbook of Louisiana Cuisine.

4. fr33_mason

fr33_mason

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    While I didn't buy it nor even own it (yet).  It is still my mother's but it was the purity cookbook and I still borrow it once in a while.  Awesome baking recipes.  Quite old.  It's in a coil bound form

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  5. charron

charron

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The first cookbook I ever owned was a prize I won when I was 7 years old.  I entered a baking contest at our local library and won (by a large margin)  "In most need of improvement" or some such.  That was when I first learned that there is a big difference between a 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 cup salt when making a cake from scratch. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  6. missyjean

missyjean

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The first cookbook I ever bought was in late 1970, Better Homes & Garden, I was about to get married.  I quickly added Mastering The Art of French Cooking 1, Mama Leone's Italian Cookbook, and Gourmet.

7. cabosailor

cabosailor

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My first was The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith.  I got it when I realized I could cook something decent in the same amount of time that a pre-microwave TV dinner took.

8. canadiandot

canadiandot

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My first cookbook was, I believe, put out by Playskool. It was all recipes geared for kids... Individual pizzas, fun drinks, open-faced sandwiches...

The first cookbook I ever bought for myself was probably the WeightWatchers New Complete cookbook.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I was very young when I saw an ad for "Five Roses , A guide to Good Cooking". My mother allowed me to send away for it , as soon as I received it she showed me how to make a cake. From that point on ......well you know the rest....

10. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Imagine if it had been an ad for a guide to welding I beams. You'd have had a career working high steel. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

11. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Naaaaaaaaa.....My mother guiding me in the right direction.............I still have the book.

12. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Either that or she just liked cake! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  

13. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Good one !!!   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gifShe loves to bake.

14. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  Now that's funny.  Just a little bit of difference there.

Think the first one I actually owned (still have and have used as a basis for lots of things over the past 28 years)  was given to me by my god-mother for minding her house and canary while she was touring China for some time.

Gotta go fossick in the shelves, hang on....

"Quick and Thrifty Cooking", published by Readers Digest in 1982.  It was simple to follow, easy to tweak once you had done the recipe successfully.  It is splattered, stained, dog eared, lots of book marks in it (plus any favourites get the top corner folded over so I can flip to them).  One book I would never ever toss or even give to a friend.

P.S.  Somehow I think Petal's talents would have been wasted as a welder.....

15. charron

charron

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I dunno... I think there might have been some pretty phenomenal structures out there, just not nearly as tastey /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As one who spends a fair bit of time with old sports cars, I wish my welding skills were better.  I just don't practice that much.

I really can't recall, but I think the first cookbook I had was one that had a name like "Starving Students Survival Guide" or something.  I no longer have it, got it several decades ago, don't remember much about it except I really liked the orange juice chicken recipe and the story about the Indian dinner party and the "cooling" yogurt.

One interesting tome I have on hand:

[​IMG]

Pretty funny, but of little culinary value.  Oddly enough the author and I were both born in the same small Michigan town, Dowagiac!

I shouold post one of her recipes just for grins.

mjb.

17. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The Dione Lucas Book of French Cooking

18. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    By Charron: I dunno... I think there might have been some pretty phenomenal structures out there, just not nearly as tastey [​IMG]

This is true.  Creativity will find its own way out, somehow, somewhere, someway.  It is unstoppable.  If the Eiffel Tower weren't there already....we could have any manner of things created by Petals - a thing of beauty I mean.  Not like that....thing...in front of The Lourve.

Teamfat - now that is my kind of book - I may have to source a copy.  Looks like an eat it or wear it kind of cook.

19. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    The All New Fannie Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook, Tenth edition, Completely Revised by Wilma Lord Perkins. In a Bantam paperback edition, printed in 1968. Still have it, although it's crumbling.

First thing I cooked from it: Quiche Lorraine, page 121. Although I used a frozen pie crust. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

20. bootz

bootz

Exp:
    Other