Do you regret not having C.A. degree?

Joined Jan 8, 2002
I am in the beginning stage of a big career change - from the IT industry to the culinary arts field.
I have requested information from just about every culinary institute/academy and several colleges across the USA - so information is on the way.

To those Culinary Professionals who have a Culinary Arts Certificate - do you have any regret about not obtaining a culinary degree (associates/bachelors)?
And have you found it more difficult to sell yourself in the culinary field without the degree?

Much appreciate any advice/feedback.

Joined Jan 31, 2001
I currently have an A.A.S. in culinary arts, but in my area of southern MN its not that big of a deal. Around here experience is a big part. I guess what I am saying is you need to look into the area you are looking at going. Even now though I think I would still do the same amount of school. It looks good on a resume!!

Joined Jan 29, 2002
P.Bkr - It's good to hear that I'm not the only one. The IT industry has gotten ugly, and I figure now is the perfect time to jump ship and follow my dreams. I'm looking into the Baltimore International Colleges' Culinary Arts program.
Good luck to you!

Joined Jan 8, 2002
Much appreciate your responses.
I am new to the Chef Talk Cafe. Browsing through the forums, I've learned a lot about the culinary schools available. I'm seriously looking into the NECI in Vermont.

I've been overseas for nearly 4 years and have been unemployed during most of that time --- so I'd say my IT career is pretty much history. I have managed to maintain a couple of my certifications during that time, but when Win2K came around, I just threw up my hands and said "forget it". :rolleyes:

Most of my 4 years has been spent in my own kitchen and finally realized that I LOVED being there....and I LOVE to cook for other people!
So, that's my story.

Top Bottom