do you recognize vegan as an allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Oct 23, 2013
i got into a slight back and forth with a general friend about veganism, they claim its an allergy since most vegans "cant" eat meat, i think its more of a lifestyle choice, even though any restaurant ive worked in handles it/rings it in as an allergy in order to avoid confusion.

So what do you think is being vegan a lifestyle choice or would you categorize it as an allergy?

Joined May 30, 2015
It's a life-style choice, and one I don't agree with for a number of reasons (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill - it's satirical in tone but truthful at the same time).

However, I believe all customers have the right to be informed about what they're eating. I am 100% against telling vegans that food is vegan if it's not. If their requests/orders are too bizarre or impractical, I would rather give them an honest "we can't honor that request" than to lie to them about what they're eating.

Joined May 3, 2015
i got into a slight back and forth with a general friend about veganism, they claim its an allergy since most vegans "cant" eat meat, i think its more of a lifestyle choice, even though any restaurant ive worked in handles it/rings it in as an allergy in order to avoid confusion.

So what do you think is being vegan a lifestyle choice or would you categorize it as an allergy?
I agree. Vegan is a lifestyle choice not an allergy.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I think for vegan to be an allergy, the person would have to actually be allergic to some aspect of animal products. In the absence of some discernible allergy, the only option left is that its a lifestyle choice.

I have an allergy to vegans. Does that count? :lol::rofl:

Joined Apr 11, 2018
I have an allergy to vegans. Does that count? :lol::rofl:

Made me think of this...

cjmZcrv.jpg

Joined Oct 10, 2005
There are only two types of vegans in the world:

The first kind are the ones who tell you what they can't eat.

The second kind are the ones who tell you what they can eat.

The first are very common, the second are very rare.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Your friend is a bit too focused on the meat part. Vegans do not eat ANY animal products or byproducts. Which includes a broad range of foods from meat to honey, eggs, cheese, etc. Anything that had anything to do with an animal is not eaten by vegans.
That would be quite an allergy.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
And don't forget honey either

"Client wants a gluten free vegan desert, and for god's sake don't give her a fruit platter or fob off one of those Jamie Oliver avocado chocolate/coconut mousses"....

Joined Sep 26, 2017
To me, it seems more like a brain disease; and an infectious one at that. People probably first got it from rabbit bites.

By the way, I know a few vegetarians who occasionally eat meat; but they just chew it and spit it out.

Joined Oct 23, 2013
what about trying to go back to eating meat, a lot of vegans claim after years of not eating animal product their system can no longer handle meat...

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I have a friend who in the 90's would go out with the boys and eat a large rare steak and drink whiskey. She went vegan about 15 years ago and looks horrible. She was a stunner.

Joined Apr 11, 2018
a lot of vegans claim after years of not eating animal product their system can no longer handle meat

Vegans claim a lot of things...

But regardless, gastronomical distress from eating unfamiliar food does not constitute an allergy; an allergy is an immune system reaction.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
It's interesting to me that some people find it so hard to respect other people's interests. If someone choses to be one thing or another then wtf do you care? Do you want to take their money or not?

I personally am not vegan. I do however ... make a good amount of $$$ feeding them. I respect, understand and accept them. Even all those "fake" type people claiming vegan or gluten-free or allergies or any other goofy thing they want to claim.

We are in the business to FEED PEOPLE. ... duh ... Feed them and take their $$$.

Joined Apr 6, 2014
I do not want to touch modern nonsense and misconceptions about fancy food movements .
Because of the lifestyle , our DNA , or simply fortified foods, we chose to lead, or just heredity , there is a condition known as "chronic condition " or with normal words , persistent disease that comes with time during our live time. Asthma , cancer , diabetes , hepatitis …etc……some of them LIFELONG.
scientific research proves the impact on our health with the consumption of animal products .There is philosophy and commercial part of it , but that is not a question . Again , this is not a fancy associated philosophy based on commodity status of animals or whatever in that way. Yep that kind of people/ the fancy one / unfortunately exist and they go in restaurants to make staff working day miserable .
Vegan is the practice of abstaining from the use of food based on animal products because of exact that Chronic condition.
Normally this kind of people have a small medical card briefly illustrating what can and can not consume and is presented to the chef.
Vegetarianism - are deliberate diet . Main component plant based , ethical , religion …etc. based understanding about life.
For the common problems of that kind of, to help comes good Health & Safety ,Food safety ,Food allergens certificates . Good idea is , to complete all of them .
Another topic is what is normal and abnormal these days in the hospitality business.
All the best

Joined Jan 20, 2013
similarly.
"no gluten" CAN BE a LEGITIMATE insensitivity, and the "no wheat" FAD.
But 99% of the people CLAIMING it do not legitimately have it. I am willing to take their money within reason. Think of it as "marketing".

But separately FAKERS take away the credibility of people with LEGITIMATE medical needs. people get careless because we assume the 1% are the same as the 99% fakers.
This can be a FATAL mistake and many of us may have serial or parallel liability or might be in a class of employees that a few lawsuits would jeopardize the company. BE CAREFUL even if you think they're fakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom