Do you know a good cake frosting that isn't sickeningly sweet?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by tiemu, Feb 17, 2015.

1. tiemu

tiemu

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cake frosting recipes tend to be over 50% sugar. I find it sickeningly sweet, overpowering any other flavour.

Can you recommend a smooth, firm frosting for a birthday cake that isn't basically just melted sugar?

2. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    IMBC or SMBC are firm enough to pipe decoratively and not overly sweet because of the meringue base.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ^^^That stands for Italian meringue butter cream and Swiss meringue butter cream.

How about ganache?

But if it's a birthday cake, is this what the birthday person likes? I'm not a big fan of frosting, but my family is. So that's how I make their birthday cakes.

4. pastrymd23

pastrymd23

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I agree with Lauren that Italian Meringue Buttercream is a good choice but with that, you'll need to make the icing atleast three days prior. You need to let it mature in the fridge then pull it the night before to come up to temperature then rewhip.

An easy and quick frosting is a marshmallow frosting or a whipped cream icing. Both of which, you can cut the sugar down.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry, I didn't even think about explaining the abbreviations 😳. Thanks mtullius!