Do You Get Recipes Off Of Youtube?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nochipra, Jan 24, 2010.

1. nochipra

nochipra

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've found quite a few good recipes off of youtube when I can't figure out what to make for dinner. Does anyone else do the same thing?

2. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i don't get recipes off youtube, i use wikipedia instead to get a general idea of a recipe then put it together and cook it myself how i would cook it.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I tend to watch too many food related vids on Youtube, like all the Iron Chefs, both original and American. There are other ways I should be spending my time.

I may have tried one or two recipes from Good Eats, almost as presented, but for the most part I just use my viewing as inspiration for matching ingredients, trying different styles and approaches. The exact recipes tend to just happen as I cook. Cookbooks and magazines I tend to treat the same way, rarely following an exact recipe, just thumbing through to see what looks good and pick up hints.

I do want to start improving my sauce skills and trying out some new ones. I'll probably stick pretty close to the recipes in Petersen's Sauces book when trying new ones. Like perhaps a chipotle watercress aioli to top my eggplant and turtle caesar salad :rolleyes:

mjb.

4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Not really, no. I'll look into memory at first regarding what I have at hand, then if that doesn't work grab a cookbook or two, if nothing stirs me after that (but I hardly get further than that and brain kicks in), I'll Google "recipe using..." whatever I've got. But that is extremely rare.

Teamfat....where do you source your turtles :D (you are nuts)

Youtube is good in some cases where you are looking for a specific technique or recipe, but mostly, its for entertainment, IMHO.

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Actually I'm not sure yet, I just got inspired by a Youtube video last night. I watched the Muppet's Swedish Chef prepare a turtle soup :lol:

mjb.

6. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I've never been to youtube, so it would be hard to glean recipes from it. Better say this softly, I guess, but I wouldn't even know how to access facebook either.

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I'm with you. (Well, I have seen stuff on YouTube, but only when somebody has a link or embedded video.)

Say it loud: I'm backward and I'm proud. :thumb:

8. mrsbushaxe

mrsbushaxe

Exp:
    Other
    I watch YouTube a lot but never for recipes.

Usually, it's to see a skill demo ~ like knife skills for example. As a homemaker who has no experience beyond home cooking, short videos like that are very helpful. I can now slice and dice bushels of veggies with only a knife and minimal injury.

Of course, that doesn't keep me from cutting myself on a can top at least once a week. :thumb:

I watch a YouTube skill type video once a day now at Rouxbe and my home cooking has really, really improved. Yesterday, I watched one on how to make a butter sauce; hold it, keep it from splitting, and fixing it if it does split.

Knowledge is power!

9. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I'M BACKWARD AND I'M PROUD!

How's that, Suzanne? :lol:

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  11. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Can't, Koukouvagia. It would break my perfect record.

Besides which, I already know how to scramble eggs. :smokin

12. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    :lol: ok give the link... love that chef:roll:

13. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The simple answer is: no. I buy cookery books, I eat at good restaurants - and I teach myself!

14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  15. b.adams

b.adams

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't look for recipes on Youtube but I enjoy watching cooking shows on Youtube.

16. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Awesome :D Much can be learnt after all from YouTube

17. rpmcmurphy

rpmcmurphy

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I LOOOOOOOVVVVEEE this guy.

If I could pick 5 people to have at my house for dinner, or have me at their house, this guy would be one of them.

YouTube - chicken lollipop

Sanjay Thumma.

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have no doubt you know how to scramble eggs! But it's still worth watching, always something new to learn.

I don't search youtube for videos. But if I happened to watch a cooking segment on television I may search for it on youtube to watch again for reference.

19. chef21

chef21

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I prefer to use Wikipedia if I need to get a recipe real quick. I have never even though of using YouTube for recipes, I will definitely give that a try!