Do you fold your fish?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by garball, Dec 6, 2013.

1. garball

garball

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When you are using fillets that taper off in thickness a lot, like redfish or snapper, do you ever fold your fish to create a uniform thickness before cooking?  I have seen this recently and found it atrocious, but it seemed common to everybody else.

2. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    Think its pretty standard practice, as long as you fold under the serving side it looks good and it will definately cook more evenly, avoids waste. I was taught to slice halfway through at the fold so that the part folded under is flush to the rest of the fillet.

3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I was taught to do this waaay back in the '80's, and even then, it was considered standard practice for most filets with tapering thickness.

4. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I personally dislike this practice now, but thought it was quite clever when I first saw it as a line cook.  To resolve the issue I would often sear the filet, and when the side is seared properly, lift the thin side and slide a piece of foil underneath it and continue cooking.  Not a perfect solution but one that I appreciate more.

5. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     Same here.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have worked places where it was SOP, but when the decision is mine, I don't do it.

7. ilprochef

ilprochef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No. I have, but don't find it to be very natural looking.