Do you eat seeds? Which ones?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Mar 5, 2014.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Recently I started toasting sunflower seeds and garnishing my salads with them. Sunflower seeds are MUCH cheaper than pine nuts and taste wonderful when toasted. I also really like the aroma and texture it adds to a salad (below, a beet/arugula/feta salad): 

This is a new venture for me, so I wonder if you guys use any other seeds? Which ones, and how? 

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like sunflower seeds in my salads too.  I actually prefer them to pine nuts these days, pine nuts are so expensive and they go off so quickly!

My typical morning starts off with some greek yogurt, topped with a tsp of flax seeds, a tsp of chia seeds and a tsp of grape nuts.  

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    sunflower and pumpkin seeds are usually in my house.

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sunflower and pepita seeds are always on hand. 

5. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I like sunflower on salad too. Keep flax on hand, I grind it fresh (heard you get max benefit that way) and add to cereal and such. I use black sesame for sushi rolls and bread. Might be good on salad too never thought of that before.  I see chia in the stores, I've been meaning to try them.

At the Mexican import store I buy bags of shelled pumpkin (pepita) for a good price. Good on in salad, cereal bars, every once in a while I make mole with them.

Someone in another forum years ago said she loved to eat peach and apricot kernels.You shell them like a walnut.   I have an old apricot jam recipe that calls for putting one kernel in the bottom of each jar to add a subltle almond flavor.  I ate one, it was pretty good but a lot of work, so I didn't put them in the jam. Also used in  amaretto  and amaretti biscotti  according to wikipedia. They do have small amounts of cyanide though.

I keep seeds and nuts in the fridge.

I've tried to make alfalfa sprouts from seed before. It was hard to keep them rinsed and drained properly so they wouldn't get slimy. Finally gave up.

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My wife eats seeds. She has this mystery little box full of seeds: chia, sesame, sunflower, quinoa, etc., etc. Every morning she grinds the seeds, mix them with strange beverages and drink that every morning. It's like a witch potage!
    She will probably live 50 years more than me.

7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Lots of sunflower seeds in the shell, pop a handful in my cheek when working outside.

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oh yeah we eat amaretti all the time here, the principal ingredient is the almond inside an apricot's kernel. When I grew up my mum used to put the almonds in the apricot jam, I remember that. 

I also remember someone (@kaneohegirlinaz  ?) posting pictures of dried Mango pits - apparently they eat those in Hawaii or in Asia? 

I use sesame seeds all the time, for example to garnish a tajine. Didn't even think about that. 

9. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm sure @French Fries  I must have (I can't seem to find that though),

seeing as I LOVE dried Mango seed (mmm, with li hing mui powder on it) and pickled Mango seed.

My parternal grand mother put up pickled mango (that's all we called it) by the gallon sized jars

... she would collect mayonaise jars from everyone through out the year and then

promise them a share of the years harvest.

The fruit is stripped off and used in chutney and mango bread.

Back in the day, we never heard of mango salsa  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's hilarious!

11. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    When I was a kid, I liked to suck on pomegranate seeds.  I've always been a little intimidated by them... & they're messy  lol  Bet they would be great in a spinach salad, or I'd like to try making pomegranate juice one day.  He makes it look so easy.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Why are you intimidated by pommegranate seeds @Cerise?  They are perfect in bitter salads like spinach and arugula and I use them a lot during the fall and early winter months.