Do you boil or bake your corned beef brisket?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Its all a matter of preference, really. Some people like the taste and texture of boiled meat. For my part, I prefer to braise the brisket in a 225'f oven for 1.75hrs per pound. However, since the brisket is cured in salt, it must be soaked or briefly boiled first to remove much of the curing salt. Then again, smoking a brisket is really kinda great, too.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Brisket is one tough cut so I would never boil it. Braise is good - low and slow, smoked is really good. This year I'm riffing on the whole boiled dinner thing by making "corned beef galumpkis". I'm stuffing cabbage rolls with ground corned beef, hash browns, sauteed onion and a little grated carrot. Because we're celebrating on Sunday I'm cooking them in a Bloody Mary. Should be interesting.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I've tried both boiling and braising and hands down I like boiling the best. The braised meat can be very salty.

I boil my corned beef in guiness with onion, carrot, potatoes, and of course, cabbage.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Pressure cooked. It's basically a braise either stovetop or oven

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I've tried both boiling and braising and hands down I like boiling the best. The braised meat can be very salty.

I boil my corned beef in guiness with onion, carrot, potatoes, and of course, cabbage.

I made corned beef last week, always with Guinness in the water with some extra pickling spice. The beer just adds to the overall flavor.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

dogfood

Banned
Joined Mar 3, 2018
Tried a few methods..may or may not depend on the meat itself.
I've always pumped the meat when curing/brining
Always liked the long simmer/braise
Tried pressure cooking, but it was "missing" something
Lately tried a long SV..then a short simmer..seems to work..not bad at all
Tested two chunks of beef recently - a brisket & a fatty roast..brined, pumped & identically cooked
The roast (at less than 1/2 price here) was to die for!!..less fatty mind you..but a hell of a lot more flavour/texture

Joined Nov 5, 2007
If I have time to soak it overnight in water, drawing out some of the salt, I bake it. If I buy a package and want to eat it that day, I boil. Either way is tasty, and I put a good bit of horseradish on it.

mjb.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
But two briskets and braise them both. Use one for corned beed and pack some pastrami spices on the other and smoke for pastrami.

Joined Jul 13, 2012

I soak my corned beef changing water every four or so hours for a day, or over night, but at least four changes. That takes a lot of the saltiness out of the meat. I'm using corned bottom round flat cut for this recipe as it's not as "porous" as brisket and I'm grinding it so I'm looking for a leaner product than say the point cut.

Joined May 5, 2010
I grew up eating fresh brisket roasted low and slow. I enjoyed the chew and flavor.
I tried roasting a corned brisket once but I guess the salt content changed the texture somehow and I never cared for it done that way. I have a flat slowly simmering on the stove right now. Happy ST. Patty's Day everyone.

Top Bottom