Do you age your meat?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mudbug, Jan 19, 2001.

1. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Cape Chef's topic "Can you tell the Difference" inspired yet another tangent...

How many of you age your meats? We've been doing it at home according to "Cook's Illustrated" and find the flavor pleasantly "meatier" and more tender....

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    That's funny... we we just discussing that yesterday at work. Nobody was really sure what the appropriate temperature is for that. We all tought somewhere around 40 degrees F. was about right.

3. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Tried the Cook's Illustrated method with my standing rib roasts (beef prime rib with the rib bones still on). Basically you just leave it on a rack in a pan in the fridge with paper towels to soak up the drips.

Left them four days, trimmed the dried layer, used trimmings to make quick broth to beef up sauce. (Mmmmmmmm [​IMG] )

Definitely noted gain in tenderness. Don't eat this fine beef roast often, so unsure if flavor gain.

Meaning to try it on a 2" porterhouse next time.

[This message has been edited by Live_to_cook (edited 01-19-2001).]

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi CWK,

I would caution against 15 days in a crayovac for meat, It sit's in it's own blood and will turn spoiled before anything else. I recommend taking it out of the crayo and placing on a cooling rack at 36 -38 degree's make sure their is good air circulation and everyday or so when you first start pat out the blood that settles in the pan. That will turn if not removed. After the meat has formed it's initial "crust" then you will not have to remove any more blood. aging meats to be effective needs good air flow it should not be sealed after fifteen days your meat will have a nice crust and maybe a slight order,but that is ok.You want to trim the entire 1 by 1 of all the crust until you see the red of the muscle. Cut a piece and just a little salt and pepper and grill it MR and smile [​IMG]
    cc