do I really need an enamelled cast iron pot

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by dtbach, Mar 5, 2017.

1. dtbach

dtbach

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Will it do anything more for me than my heavy calphalon pots for making a chicken or pot roast?  I don't know if I really need one other than I want one.

2. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Yes. Buy one. Cast Iron holds heat, stainless dissipates heat. You need a dutch oven if you want to expand your culinary horizons. Besides, they look nice. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    They have their uses, but I disagree with Jake above. These are most commonly used for braises and in that use neither the cast iron nor the enamel are giving you actual performance benefits. 

If you like them, sure, they' cook well and are pretty enough to serve from. 

On the other hand, I find them somewhat fussier to use, clean, and store than comparable heavy stainless cookware.  I've used mine less and less over the years and my stainless more and more. 

It's not about being wrong or right but more how they fit your cooking preferences really. 

4. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Yup. Its a matter of fitting your cooking style. Agreed. 

But I use dutch ovens to make bread. Can you do that with a ss pot with equal results? 

I also question the performance benefits being minimal. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  

But I defer to the professionals.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you do get one don't waste money on a La Creuset or other supposedly high end brand.  It's ridiculous to spend several hundred dollars on a pot when you can get essentially the same thing for less than $100, or $40-50 at Marshals/Ross.  

6. liscr

liscr

Exp:
    Home Cook
    An enameled Dutch oven is a necessity for every kitchen.

7. zeppo shanski

zeppo shanski

Exp:
    Other
    Necessity ... NO.    Really nice to have ... YES.

Realize too, that they are big, heavy, take up a lot of space and are not as multi-functional as some may think. They are nice though when they fit the job.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Cast Iron Lodge 5 QT Dutch Oven for stews.

Cast Iron Lodge 7 QT Dutch Oven for Stews and breadbaking (1.2kg dough)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017