Chef Forum banner

Do I even need a santoku

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  chrislehrer 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I like that Maksim carries some 180mm nakiri and santoku, as opposed to the more common 165mm.

How's the shipping without hitting the free shipping limit?
It is STEEP like $32. This is only a good deal if you combine it with something to make the cut off amount

Actually two of these is exactly the free shipping minimum amount!

#4 ·
Actually two of these is exactly the free shipping minimum amount!
Haha, score!

To be honest though as someone who has a couple of nakiri and santoku+bunka, I have to make an effort to think about pulling them out and using them as opposed to 230mm+gyuto or large chuka bocho or the occasional petty/parer usage.

Probably going to sell off my Shibata Kotetsu bunka sometime in the future to put funds towards the 240mm gyuto which is what I should have gotten in the first place.

#8 ·
I think the santoku is pretty much the perfect knife for a home kitchen of a busy parent.  I can do just about any job, easy to clean (if stainless), store and use.   Chopping up veggies for dinner or an apple for snack time...  not like you are breaking down whole rib roasts or a case of watermelons.  throw in a petty or a good parer and you are pretty well set.

#9 ·
Pretty much how I see it too ... carried a basic Santoku in the kit for a while but never pulled it out, other than when I was handing out decent blades to people who didn't have a good one of their own to use, preferring at various times a larger 'chefs" like my 8" German (classic then later on a wide) or eventually my 8" Japanese (tojiro dp) for most tasks. 

What I discovered was when it started to live at home in the block, it was the one I'd grab and do most tasks with because I had a smaller work space, smaller wooden board and the 7" was just enough smaller to feel better with the space limitations w/o being too small (like a Petty might be) and be able to handle most any task I needed to do well enough. 

#11 ·
Ah, the exception that proves the rule, I'm actually rocking the 600D (Morimoto Fusion) version now after falling for the shape in the German "Pro" version of that blade about a year ago. Figured the thinner, lighter (and harder steel) Japanese would be the upgrade I wanted. It is. So -- That one? yeah. But the normal ~7" Santoku? I never found myself going to in my working kit.

#12 ·
I think the santoku is pretty much the perfect knife for a home kitchen of a busy parent. I can do just about any job, easy to clean (if stainless), store and use. Chopping up veggies for dinner or an apple for snack time... not like you are breaking down whole rib roasts or a case of watermelons. throw in a petty or a good parer and you are pretty well set.
This is exactly what it was invented for, back in the 1920s: the busy, on-the-go urban housewife. It remains a very good knife for that purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.