Do chefs use other people's Recipes

Joined Feb 10, 2021
I believe nowdays, the source of information has become very large. It's always good to look around yourself for new recipes.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
I may be reading too much into 'use' other people's recipes. I know many chefs that can be inspired by something another chef has made. For example, here in Seattle (about 25 years ago), the executive chef at Fuller's in the Sheraton Hotel was Monique Barbeau. She won the James Beard Award as Best Chef: Northwest, was a guest on Julia Child’s “In Julia’s Kitchen with Master Chefs”, and did a number of other noteworthy guest appearances and contributions.

Monique developed a salad from watermelon, feta cheese, and sage . . . these were three flavors I had never considered combining together, but it worked . . . really well. The flavor profile was remarkable for something with so few ingredients . . . watermelon delivered sweetness, feta cheese delivered a tangy and salty flavor, and the sage contributed an earthiness. I think this inspired other chefs to try their own variations on these ingredients. Did they 'use' her recipe? Depends on how you interpret the word 'use' . . . Did they copy it? Not really. But, it did inspire similar flavor profiles in other restaurants.

Joined May 5, 2010
How about instead of the word "copy," we substitute "inspired by?"
If I see a recipe from someone else, and change one ingredient, then it becomes my recipe.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
How about instead of the word "copy," we substitute "inspired by?"
If I see a recipe from someone else, and change one ingredient, then it becomes my recipe.
Absolutely! I think this happens all the time. Nearly every time I eat something I really like, I think of how I would make it and what I might do differently. Unfortunately, it's been nearly a year since I've been in a restaurant due to COVID-19 . . . but, I can come here and get inspired.

Joined May 10, 2021
When chefs make up a new food do they use other peoples recipes and find put there own twist on it?
When I cook I use Recipes off of line and put my own twist on the recipe is this considerd creative or do chefs figure out the ingredient amounts them selves . How can I learn to be a chef and is following recipes off the internet considered amateurish?
BTW I want to go to culinary school once I get Graduate from high school in 2011.

Joined May 10, 2021
I was threatend some years ago by a very angry chef who accused me of copying his fish pasty.

Joined Apr 26, 2012
I was threatened some years ago by a very angry chef who accused me of copying his fish pasty.
That's almost a compliment!! Sounds like he must have liked what you did, and then got irritated that you could duplicate his dish.

There is a difference between stealing and re-creating. Stealing a recipe is taking all the ingredients in exact quantities and making the recipe using the exact same method in the exact same order and then calling it your own.

Re-creating is simply following a recipe. If you are given a recipe, or shown how to make something, or find a recipe and make it... none of these are stealing. And this is the vast majority of the ways people learn how to cook.

The key is when someone or some eating establishment is promoting a dish that they claim is their own, but was taken from someone else.

Professional chefs who have any sense of self-respect do not steal recipes and use them as their own, but will often use a recipe and change or add to it.

If I make an apple pie and just call it an apple pie, it does not matter where it came from. But if I call it Aldente's Apple Pie and promote it that way, it should have something special and distinctive that I changed to make it my own.

However, with something so commonly found as apple pie, it is generally acceptable to call it your own when it is made in house, even if it is a re-used recipe.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2017
I have never heard of proffesional chefs stealing each others recipes' I have been in the trade for nearly 40 years. retired 4 years, but keep my hand in
That's funny - I remember learning "cooks borrow, chefs steal" very early in my career.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Monique developed a salad from watermelon, feta cheese, and sage . . . these were three flavors I had never considered combining together, but it worked . . . really well. The flavor profile was remarkable for something with so few ingredients . . . watermelon delivered sweetness, feta cheese delivered a tangy and salty flavor, and the sage contributed an earthiness. I think this inspired other chefs to try their own variations on these ingredients. Did they 'use' her recipe? Depends on how you interpret the word 'use' . . . Did they copy it? Not really. But, it did inspire similar flavor profiles in other restaurants.
This is a really good example - watermelon, feta and (usually mint, sometimes parsley) is a common dish in the Mediterranean. Sage is a twist on that making it her own.

Top Bottom