Do any of you chef's out there get annoyed when...

Joined Dec 30, 1999
...the people you made the food for (for whatever reason) don't start eating the food you cooked for them right away?

In regards to temperature, texture, etc...

Joined Apr 30, 2001
cchiu: even as a home cook that annoys me. Wouldn't it drive a professional absolutely up the wall?

Joined Apr 24, 2001
That's why the runners and the waiters hated me. When they fire desserts, they should come and get it promtly. Our desserts are all about contrasts and compliments of temperatures, textures and tastes. When the customers return it because the frozen component melted or the poached pear got cold, I have to dish up another one, which means I'll run out faster, the restaurant loses money and the waiter gets rewarded by not doing his job. Actually, I never let him have it. I take the returned dessert back and give it to the line cooks.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
This is MY pet peeve too! I get so annoyed!

So many things DON'T wait, like pasta and risotto, to name a couple...

GRRRRRRRRRR

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Might be annoying but that's how I was raised. You dont start eating until the host or hostess is served. Even when people say start eating right away, I was told I still had to wait.

Joined Jun 1, 2001
Guilty... guilty as charged... I usually ask for my salad and my entree to be served at the same time. Then I eat the salad and let the entree cool off.

I don't like eating things that are red-hot off the stove. I prefer to savour the flavours at a pleasant "warm" temperature, without risk of burning my tongue.

However, I don't much like it (polite though it may be) when my home guests wait, though they're clearly ravenous, for me to serve everyone (myself last) and sit down to eat before they dare dig in. The poor things sit there gazing at the plates like starving vultures, and I want to beg them to just go ahead and eat!

Joined Oct 15, 2000
If you're talking about food that has left the pass at the right temp and the customer lets it set there and get cold then I could care less. He's the idiot, not me. NOW, if the food comes up and I'm told " OH sorry, I should have told you to wait before you fired that." Let's just say this irritates me. :eek:

Joined Jan 17, 2000
On the other hand, I can't count the number of times I've asked a waiter not to turn the order in yet because we want to enjoy our appetizer, but s/he does it anyway. We must then either give up the appetizer to deal with the meal or allow the meal to get cold while finishing the appetizer.

Joined Nov 19, 1999
This is a frustrating situation for me too at the sorority. Imagine being in a position where the food is to be served by 5:15, and no bus boys. That leaves me with 40-50 serving bowls to set out. By the time I get the last table arranged the first one has cooled down considerably. And then, if the girls are a little late getting to the table...well, it doesn't look too good for me. Thank God they're sweethearts and don't blame me.

Joined Apr 24, 2001
You know what else annoys me? When I eat with folks who descend on the food as if it were the last meal on earth and swallow before they chew or even taste the food they are putting in their mouths. They don't realize what an affront this is to cooks who took the time to prepare the meal. Sometimes, there's none left for me because I refuse to swoop like a vulture. I like to enjoy my meal slowly so that I can savor the food that was prepared especially for me. Plus my mother taught me table manners. To top it off, these folks keep telling me that I should change my ways because they think I am slow. And they feel entitled to free desserts and other baked items because I work in the food industry. :mad:

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: monpetitchoux ]

Joined Mar 4, 2000
And they feel entitled to free desserts and other baked items because I work in the food industry.

You hit the nail right on the head there!

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I'm a chiropractor. Free adjustments, anyone? I get invited to dinner and am sometimes expected to provide impromptu care. Please change into this gown with the opening in the back and step into the bedroom; I have personal questions that require answering. Sorry, not without a physical exam. :mad:

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Koko if I were you next time I would say my fee is x $ payable in advance. ;)

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Yes, but, they invited me for dinner and asking for moolah seems a bit miserly.

"I am concerned for your health and safety...no treatment without a physical exam and current xrays." Using that approach avoids the money/barter situation and highlights my concern for the patient to get the most careful attention possible!

The health care profession is already plagued by its $$$ image.

:rolleyes:

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

Joined Nov 19, 1999
Gosh, Kokopuffs. That is so rude for anyone to invite you to dinner and then practically ask you for an exam. Does it happen often? I would imagine that it does. Even here at Cheftalk we only ask you questions that relate to food and food products. And you have been wonderful in sharing your medical knowledge with us as a group. Thank you!

Joined Aug 4, 2000
PastaChef, it happens occasionally at dinner and at other functions as well.

I don't mind sharing knowledge, however.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
My wife is an attorney and I cannot tell you how many times people ask for free legal advice at the dinner table.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Well, Iza, take 2 TBS of ev oilve oil, apply to the affected area and call me next week if it turns green! :eek:

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Some people are always trying to get a bargain. Getting free advice out of anyone is just another way for some to get another "free thing". It's really tacky when you think of it.

That said Koko I have this annoying little pain in my right ankle... ;)

Joined Apr 9, 2005
You know that there is probably a better way to do that. Lay out half the bowls, so the last ones do not get cold and then while the server is running those bowls, plate the next round. Its all about using your head. Sorry but 50% of this industry is about cooking, the other 50% is about politics and common sense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom