Do all carbon knives develop a protective patina?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by SkipII, Nov 4, 2017.

1. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    I was looking at a Masahiro Virgin Caron santuko, but the belly of the blade is not quite flat enough for that I need. So, that opens me up to consider other carbon knives. The merchant (Knife Merchant o fSan Diego) said the knife develops a nice patina after a few uses, this avoiding staining of things like onions. That matters to me since that is one of my main uses.

Is that unique to the Masahiro or can I expect other carbon knives to do the same?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    All carbon blades will eventually get a patina. But likely it will take “more than a few uses”. Some people force a patina... there are plenty of threads on that if you search. I don’t see the point other than to avoid the awkward stage, which can be uneven, as the patina develops into a “nice” patina.

But some staining is inevitable so if that’s not okay it might be best to consider a stainless steel.

3. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    All carbons do develop a patina, most need a bit of help before the patina got installed and the steel calmed down, which is not the same.
    Have you thought about a stainless nakiri? I've used a Ryusen Blazen with yo-handle and an almost symmetric SG-2 blade. Would solve your profile, asymmetry and rust problems at once.

4. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    Thanks. I have a stainless nikiri. I want to try going carbon with a different blade.

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You should try carbon steel. Just resign yourself to the fact that staining happens and the blade will look “used” and you’ll be quite pleased with the performance.

6. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In that case the Masahiro VC are great to start with. Excellent steel, settles fast, affordable, lefty version available.

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If the belly is not flat enough you can flatten it on stones over a few sharpenings.

benuser and brianshaw like this.
  8. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The Tanaka blue 2 is top notch and affordable, looks flatter. But the profile of the Masahiro is upswept, this tends to exaggerate curvature.