DIY slo cooker alt...

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by takingstock, Sep 26, 2012.

1. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I just joined here.

One of my goals is to cut down on my time spent cooking which I enjoy but its a borderline obsession.

My thinking is to use a slow cooker more but it seems [IMO] that they are all crap.  In addition, I want to be able to brown before adding all and letting it percolate all day.   Yes, there are a few out there that have stove top inserts but they seem to be made out of aluminum or are coated with some sort of BS non-stick.....

I recently purchased a BurtonMax induction "burner".  My plan was to use good quality heavy pots and make a DIY slow cooker. However, I just read that it will cut off after 3 hours...[safety blahblah] I think this will be returned.

Another crazy idea was to custom fabricate from steel an insert for the cheapie [crap] slow cooker that I have but that going to be a lot of work.

Any ideas?

THX

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Do the browning in a regular stove top pan. Then put the meat into the slow cooker. Deglaze the pan and use that liquid as part of the liquid for the slow cooker.

3. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for my 1st reply.   Yes, one could do this but I would really like this to be a one pot affair.   There is a certain elegance to it plus all the good stuff stays in the "pan" and it is now preheated and no clean up in the morning.

Maybe just a fantasy of mine.

4. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There is no 1 pot system for this at this time.

5. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    wow I joined ...for this !

I think I will go to MacDonalds now!

what a waste of time.

Happy trails!

6. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Welcome to the forum... the whole eight hours of your stay.

Sorry we weren't able to meet your requirement for instant gratification before you stormed off.

If you do come back...

They don't make them anymore but Crock Pot did have a model SCVD 1600 (VersaWare Pro) - that had a special insert that you could saute in.

They had a few problems with stupid people doing stupid things so they were pulled.  

I still have mine and haven't been able to make it explode... yet!

You might be able to find a used one at a garage sale or online - this is a link to the instruction manual

http://www.crock-pot.com/Manuals/MANUALS/SCVI600B-SS_43_30519354.PDF

I really like mine a lot - but once it dies / cracks it is gone gone gone...

PS - you spelled McChuck'n'Puke wrong...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes I did kinda storm off.   I'm am back and I apologize.

That being said are these not "discussion" forum sites.  Simple "no" answers can be slightly irritating.  I am calling on the vastness of "www." for help.

In the south (Georgia) thats how many PEOPLE pronounce McDonalds so I feel that it is perfectly ok to spell it that way.  However, I am spelling challenged being a product of government schools.  BTW this site will not let me check spelling on my Mac.  Usually I can hold the control key and click on the work and spelling pops up.

Question- it this also a retail site?

Thanks, I will check out the link.

8. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes, these are discussion forums. Sometimes it happens that there is nothing to discuss. That may be irritating to you but that's life.
    Not completely sure what you are asking. If you are talking about sales or advertising, NO!

Advertising or self promotion is expressly PROHIBITED!

9. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Keep the Max Burton, they're handy to have. Boil water for pasta faster than my gas stove. Further, pair that induction burner with a flat bottom wok and start stir frying. Very fast cooking times though you do pick up a little more prep time with the knife. But as your skills improve, the time isn't much.

Ken Hom's 100 stir fries shows a number of non-asian dishes he does as a stir fry in a wok for simplicity and speed. Still plenty of Asian food in there too.

10. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well I just talked to the Max Burton folks and it does indeed cut off after +/- 3 hours...even their commercial models...nice folks.  I was going to "for sure" return it but I will reconsider.

Wok cooking is great.  Any idea of the btu's at full 1800 watt power on the MX Burton?   My current gas stove top at around 13000 btu's is leak with wok cooking.

THX

11. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    1800 watts is 6142 BTUs, but that's not the whole equation. My gas stove is 14,000 BTUs, but my max burton beats it in power to the pan.

Gas stoves are about 30% efficient. So you're only transferring about 3100 of your 13,000 gas BTUs into your wok or pot. Induction is about 85% efficient so you're putting about 5200 BTUS into the wok or pot.  You'll notice the difference cooking with a wok.

You still have to be careful not to put too much food into the wok at once as it's not a large amount of BTU, but it's a step up.

The temperature settings are handy too. Put your stock on at 180 and it simmers wonderfully. Render schmalz at 250 and you don't have to worry about it burning. Similarly for deep frying. Use the temp settings to control the temp of the oil. Better heat recovery too with the higher heat transferred.

12. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks dad ....I am 57 but unsolicited life advice is always welcome./img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

13. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great stuff...thanks.

I guess this is a keeper and you will be my guide.  How long have you had yours and does it seem well enough made to stand the rigors of serious home cooking?  ...being all high tech electronical (southern word)....and full of PFM....

14. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's ok son,/img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifI'm 70!
    My point, which I apparently was too subtle about, there are some things that are not technologically feasible, what we may want sometimes doesn't exist.

15. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    ...touche.... 

You are right and I agree however I always default to to low tech.  My whole idea here was to go low tech..... "hot plate" .....some kind of heater that hopefully be controlled with a simple thermostat... use heavy pots that I already have.....presto....

16. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Get a temperature differential controller.   Plug your hotplate into it and drop the temp probe into the pot - set the temperature you want.

They are a bit pricey but work with most low tech appliances - they work by cutting the power to the appliance so you can't use any kind with fancy micro-controllers etc. just mechanical ones.

Check out Fresh Meal Solutions - I bought mine from there and it has done well by me.   It also has a few logic programs to help get better results.  

I mainly use mine with a very large rice cooker as an improvised water oven.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  17. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Are you referring to this?

http://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=100086

18. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Just bought this [Ken Hom's 100 stir fries] book...Thanks

19. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  20. michaelga

michaelga