Disney World

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by pete, Jan 21, 2001.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Disney World, and I have to say that, overall, I was pretty impressed with the food there. Of course, there is the all the typical, overpriced fast food joints, some of which weren't too bad. But I was impressed at the number of good sit-down restaurants there. Three of our most memorable dinners were: The Portabello Yacht Club in Downtown Disney. It is a high-end italian place. The food was great, though our server left something to be desired. The California Grill; this was our last night at disney and of our honeymoon, so we were sat at the best table they had. Between apps and entrees we watched the fireworks over the Magic Kingdom from our table. The food was eclectic, from wood-fired pizzas and sushi, to steaks and pasta. A perfect way to end our honeymoon. but my favorite place was the Biergarten, in Germany, at Epcot's World Showcase. It was a buffet of great german food, while performers played live german music. My wife had to suffer through my consuming 3, liter glasses of beer. What fun!! [​IMG]

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete,Who wares the lederhosen in your house? [​IMG]
    cc

3. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Sounds like a great time!!

Does anyone have any helpful hints on bringing a family on a budget to D'World?
    Thanks!

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    It's been many years since I took my 1st child....we rented a car and stayed off property, ate breakfast before going in to the park. Read several books on what was available and planned accordingly. My child was 4 at the time and so we went while school was in session to avoid crowds. Just made sure that we brought water btls...as you know that stuff adds up when there are several of you.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are many sites out there that give you tips on doing Disney on a budget. Here are a few that I can think of:
    1. stay on property. The new All-Star (think that is the name, but it's close) is relatively cheap and gives you all the perks of staying on-property. After renting a car and paying for parking all of your savings would be eaten up.
    2. Get the length of stay pass. Not the cheapest way to go, but it gives you access to everything, plus the chance to come and go from the parks as you need to. It makes it very easy to go back to the hotel for an afternoon nap (you may need it, the kids may not!). Disney transportation is great!
    3. Bring water bottles to fill with water. All drinks are expensive. Also, if you and your kids are soda drinkers, get your resort's refillable mug. Cost around $9 but then refills at your resort are free.
    4. The best way to save money is to go during off peak times. We were there the first week in Jan. after families had left, after the holidays. Not only is everything tons cheaper, the lines are also the shortest of the year. Take the kids out of school and go during those times.