Dish-->Server-->Dish-->Prep/Line

Joined Nov 6, 2017
So, like the title says, I was a dishwasher and then server for several years at a casual old-school Italian place. I recently started working at a brewery/restaurant as a dishwasher for some extra money, and within two months I've gotten moved up to prep/line cook. I'm excited to learn!

My primary job is as a HS Spanish teacher, I enjoy working with food but don't have the culinary school training that some do... will this put me at a disadvantage long-term?

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Imagine a student who has taken classes from you. Now imagine another person who has not taken Spanish classes, but moves to Mexico and gets a job in restaurant (or some business). After a year who will be more advanced in speaking Spanish? What about five years down the road?

Joined Jun 8, 2017
A lot of people have told me not to go to culinary school because "it is a huge waste of money". The chef I work for now didn't go and said that he has hired a couple culinary grads, but had to fire them. They couldn't hack it on the line, but had all of the training necessary.

I think if you have people that are willing to teach you the correct ways on how to do things then you won't be at a disadvantage. At my previous cook job no one wanted to teach me anything. I had to learn on my own and by this I didn't know how to hold a knife correctly; or cut correctly. Now I am being taught by people that actually care, and want me to succeed. Although, I think a few classes wouldn't hurt. I'm planning on taking a few just to boost my confidence in the kitchen, and learn conversions.

I'm interested to see in what the more experienced people think though.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Long term...this is the advantage that yields the best results...
"The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."...Vince Lombardi

Joined Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for the input. I think that my bosses really value me, the new executive was eager to move me to line/prep, and they all have said they appreciate my work ethic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom