Dish-->Server-->Dish-->Prep/Line

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by SpanishTeacher, Nov 6, 2017.

1. SpanishTeacher

SpanishTeacher

Exp:
    novice
    So, like the title says, I was a dishwasher and then server for several years at a casual old-school Italian place. I recently started working at a brewery/restaurant as a dishwasher for some extra money, and within two months I've gotten moved up to prep/line cook. I'm excited to learn!

My primary job is as a HS Spanish teacher, I enjoy working with food but don't have the culinary school training that some do... will this put me at a disadvantage long-term?

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Imagine a student who has taken classes from you. Now imagine another person who has not taken Spanish classes, but moves to Mexico and gets a job in restaurant (or some business). After a year who will be more advanced in speaking Spanish? What about five years down the road?

SpanishTeacher and linecookliz like this.
  3. linecookliz

linecookliz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    A lot of people have told me not to go to culinary school because "it is a huge waste of money". The chef I work for now didn't go and said that he has hired a couple culinary grads, but had to fire them. They couldn't hack it on the line, but had all of the training necessary.

I think if you have people that are willing to teach you the correct ways on how to do things then you won't be at a disadvantage. At my previous cook job no one wanted to teach me anything. I had to learn on my own and by this I didn't know how to hold a knife correctly; or cut correctly. Now I am being taught by people that actually care, and want me to succeed. Although, I think a few classes wouldn't hurt. I'm planning on taking a few just to boost my confidence in the kitchen, and learn conversions.

I'm interested to see in what the more experienced people think though.

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Long term...this is the advantage that yields the best results...
    "The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."...Vince Lombardi

5. SpanishTeacher

SpanishTeacher

Exp:
    novice
    Thanks for the input. I think that my bosses really value me, the new executive was eager to move me to line/prep, and they all have said they appreciate my work ethic.

linecookliz likes this.