Disabled man ISO suggestions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sjs94704, Sep 27, 2018.

1. sjs94704

sjs94704

Exp:
    Novice
    Hi, All!

I am new to this site. I have multiple health issues one of which is HIV and my doctor has said that an improved diet is a major help to my health. I have been watching several videos on YouTube and they all say to use fresh herbs.

My issue is that I have a very mild case of Cerebral Palsy on my left side and I have limited use of my left hand. Specifically, I have very little dexterity of my fingers. So, using a large knife as a chef typically would to chop the herbs is potentially a dangerous thing for me and I would be grateful for your suggestions of ways I can accomplish chopping fresh herbs in a safe way so I can dramatically reduce or eliminate the possibility of causing harm due to these circumstances.

I have to believe that I am not alone with this kind of a challenge.

I am looking forward to your ideas.

With Gratitude,

Steven, Age 54
    Berkeley, CA

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    While I've thought these were gimmicky, they might be the thing for you. A slap chopper. There are different brands and i have no idea which is the better choice.

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    At Bed, Bath and Beyond or similar store you can find multibkade roller choppers which will deal quite effectively with herbs.

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    ... or if you have sufficient grip strength... a mezzaluna.

5. sjs94704

sjs94704

Exp:
    Novice
    I am grateful for your answers but I sent a message to the moderator to cancel my account and this thread because I HATE moderated websites. To me, it is just a power trip over other peoples words on the part of the moderator! I don't like having someone else deciding for me if my words are ok for others to see or not.

Let me be clear. My words are not directed at anyone who has been kind enough to reply. They are directed to the website...

Se you all later ... I will be directing my future questions on another unmoderated website ...

6. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Shame he didn't get to appreciate what good mods are on this site.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That was weird

8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Yeah because I am disabled and could have helped. I have left hand issues from neck nerve damage. I use a butchers glove when doing a lot of chopping just in case I slip...

drirene likes this.
  9. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Haha what? That's a first.

Even reddit has moderators. I guess he could try his luck on 4chan, though doubtful he'd find anyone helpful.