dinner rolls

G

i can bake fairly good pie crust,,,,not bad with pizza dough, though allways trying to improve......but i have problems making dinner rollls.....cannot find a great receipe....i would like nice , round rolls, light in the middle.....anyone have a great receipe for this i can try......thanks......

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Mostly I take a bread recipe that I like and convert it to rolls.

F'rinstance, just this week I used Peter Reinhart's recipe for Pane Siciliano, but instead of making large loaves I made rolls---still using the double-S shape they're noted for.

You have to experiment with baking times when doing this (rolls take less time). But it's not always as significant a difference as you may think. I make a pumpkin bread, for instance, that, when baked as a loaf, takes about 40 minutes. The same dough formed into tiny slider-buns still bakes for 25 minutes. Larger rolls take about 30-35 minutes.

I'd suggest you start by cutting the baking time in half, then add time in five-minute increments, until the rolls are done.

Last edited:
G

thanks for the info....will check out your suggestions. frys grocoery makes the best sub rolls.....i sort of like to make rolls like that.....the texture is what i am striving for

caterchef

Banned
Joined Oct 12, 2009
i can bake fairly good pie crust,,,,not bad with pizza dough, though allways trying to improve......but i have problems making dinner rollls.....cannot find a great receipe....i would like nice , round rolls, light in the middle.....anyone have a great receipe for this i can try......thanks......
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif  You can use a dough conditioner and they also have a dough relaxer for pizza dough.

http://www.preparedpantry.com/premium-dough-conditioner.aspx

You can also get diastatic and non-diastatic malt from King Arthur Flour.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-16-oz

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Obviously I have no idea what Fry's sub rolls are like. But if it were me I'd start with a recipe for either Italian bread or baguette---keeping in mind this will give you a crispier crust than most commercial sub rolls.

For sub rolls, weigh out the dough in five-ounce portions. Flatten each slightly into a rectangle, tri-fold it, and roll-stretch to the length you want. I prefer forming them 7 inches long, which gives me the finished size I like.

Top Bottom