Dinner Last Night... just sharing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jim berman, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    About 8 months ago, I was asked to donate a meal prepared in somebody's house. The deal was, there was an auction and this was one of the items up for bid. Last night, I worked with one of my students to prepare the following meal for 6:

*** Disclaimer: I am not one for 3 paragraph-long descriptions of menu items, but I am listing components so you get the picture.

Lobster Egg rolls - with oyster mushrooms, garlic, Napa cabbage, drizzled with toasted sesame oil

Salad - beet 'carpaccio' on the bottom of the plate, ringed with cuccumber sliced on a mandoline (set up right like a ring mold) and filled with crispy leeks and topped with California 'roll' goat cheese croquette. A splash of 12 year old balsamic, as well (Proseco)

Entree (something for everybody, I hope) - Herb-jacketed loin of venison set on frsh cranberry relish; Crispy-skinned striped Basss with shallot butter; Canvas Back duck hash with figs; white-truffle oil potatoes with cognac poached crimini mushrooms (Viognier)

Cheeses - Delice de Borgone, St. Simeon, Raw Milk Gouda, garnished with toasted cashews, dry cherries, crusty bread (Muscat)

Dessert - Mascarpone, White Chocolate, Espresso Brioche Bread Pudding (Ice Wine)

Just thought I would share what my night was like! My student was great! The shopping trip to Reading Terminal Market in Philly was Great! Night was exhausting, but great! With all this "work," who needs the movies?!

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Jim, that is a really awesome sounding menu! Nicely done, I'm sure the winners of that auction felt that they got their monies worth!!!

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    What a menu!!! muscat and ice wine...yummmm

how was Reading Terminal? I met the manager in DC last Fall....White Dog Cafe has a person hired to run a booth with local small farm products.
    Did you by any chance see the booth?

4. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I can't say that I know the "White Dog" booth, per se. I am sure I have visited it, but if it is has another name, I wouldn't know this particular booth. I make my way up there about once a month, so I will look for it the next time. Everytime I go there it is a whirlwind of buying... tasting... spending... what a rough morning!

5. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    :lips: Sounds wonderful. What a treat that must have been for the winning bidders. How did they like it?

dan

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    OH, Jim, that sound great.

Someone brought some Delice de Bourgogne to a potluck I hosted yesterday. What a wonderful cheese. I think I'm in love! :lol: