Dinner in NYC

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by mezzaluna, Apr 1, 2003.

1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We just took the plunge and booked flights and a hotel for a week in Manhattan this June!

I'd be grateful for some suggestions for a relatively moderately priced anniversary dinner on a Saturday night. Neither of us is a big wine drinker, and we don't want fine dining for this meal. An acquaintance suggested Becco (Lidia Bastianich's place) and I love the idea, but I know this board is the place to come for suggestions!

So have at it, friends. Where should we have our 11th anniversary dinner? If it helps, we're staying at the Belvedere, near 48th and Broadway.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Oh, my. So many choices, so little time. :D

Is there any particular cuisine the two of you would like to try? Any that you adore above all others? That you both hate? Are you willing to travel (by subway, bus, or taxi) beyond the confines of our little island on Mannahatta? What do you consider "relatively moderately priced?"

Before you answer: if you like pasta, make a reservation ASAP at Babbo (one of Mario Batali's places), and once there get the pasta tasting menu. A lovely place, and incredible food. Not really terribly expensive.

Okay, now you may answer. :D

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    :lol:

My husband is rather indifferent to food. He can tell bad stuff from the rest, but a fine dining meal is somewhat lost on him. (Right, Nicko?) Also, we'd rather stay in Manhattan for the anniversary dinner.

Taste is what I seek. I'm quite adventurous! Cost is less of an issue for me in this context, but if I'm to compromise with my dear husband's laid-back relationship to food, cost must be considered. Also, he doesn't eat fish- so the menu needs to be varied.

I thought of Babbo, too. We'll check it out. I understand Restaurant Row isn't far from where we're staying. Any gold to mine there? And what about Tony Bourdain's Les Halles?

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Whatever you do, do not dine at The Park... unless of course you're used to paying for $10 martinis and $32 Paella with 5 clams, 3 which don't open.

Kuan

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    :eek: Thanks for the tip, Kuan!

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Two suggestions, both dependent on whether he'd be willing to try "ethnic" foods:

1. Diwan, an Indian restaurant on East 48th Street. One of my current favorites. The most wonderful and unexpected tandoori-cooked foods (venison; wild boar; several variations of chicken, none of which are the usual dried-out, neon red version). A widely varying level of spicing and saucing. Not at all your typical cheap Indian restaurant; much classier in setting and food. Reasonable prices, and a great value $50 prix fixe "tasting" menu.

2. Turkish Cuisine, a "hole in the wall" on Ninth Avenue in the 40s or 50s. Actually it's a lovely place, and I think they may have a garden in back. Many varied vegetable dishes and meat dishes. Very reasonable prices.

Another, non-ethnic, wonderful place: Verbena, on Irving Place near Gramercy Park. This is where Diane Forley and Michael Otsuka are the chefs. They have a beautiful garden and delicious food.

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    soussweets

8. vloglady

vloglady

So tell us Mezzaluna, how was your trip? Where did you eat?

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We had a great meal at Becco (Restaurant Row) and a good meal at Pigalle (W. 48th and 8th Ave.) Those were the ones most worth noting. Charruscuria Plataforma was good as well (W. 49th between 8th and 9th aves.).

Of course the lunch at Suzanne's was the best. Great ambience and warm conversation. ;)

The trip was rainy (at first) then very hot- but New York is a great city in any weather. We were first-timers so we went to the obvious places (Ellis Island, Empire State Building, etc.) but lost out on our last day there due to a minor injury my husband incurred when he missed a step in the hotel. At least we got in six of our seven days in.