Differences in lentils?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, Nov 8, 2003.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I just followed a lentil soup recipe from Epicurious that called for French green lentils. One of the comments that followed urged users to be sure to use the French green ones because they really make a difference. Do they? I don't make lentil soup that often, so I'm no judge, but the green ones were a lot more expensive than the regular old brown ones. What do you folks think?

2. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There is a big difference in lentils. I use green, brown, red, white and black lentils and they all cook up differently. French green lentils are small with a delicate skin and a smooth texture. In my soups they retain their shape even after being cooked.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Phoebe,

The deal with the Green Lentils from France (Le Puy) is they are cultivated with no fertilizers,are very consistent in size,keep a better texture when cooked and even have the AOC Label(appelation d'origine controlee)which guarentees quality and origin.

For soups i'm very happy with brown lentils,but when i'm using lentils as a main attraction I use le puy.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My standard guideline is: if I want the lentils for a soup or other dish were they are to be falling apart I use brown. If I want the lentils to retain their shape then I use other varities, such as the french green lentils.

5. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you! This is very helpful. And it's true; they didn't fall apart and even retained a little bite. But that isn't crucial to me with soup.

6. mike

mike

Puy lentils are often served instead of a potato accompanyment.They are great with duck and lamb .cook like risotto with lots of garlic herbs & shallots.

7. markovitch

markovitch

a friend of mine from philly keeps telling me to find beluga lentils. i've never been able to find them in portland. has anyone used them? he says they are above and beyond all other lentils.

any opinions?

8. mike

mike

Markovitch

Beluga lentils are easily available here & look great on a plate with fish because of their black caviar like colour & texture.

9. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef