Differences between pasteurized cheese and un-pasteurized cheese.

Discussion in 'Open Forum With Master Cheesemaker Sid Cook' started by nicko, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thank you again for being with ChefTalk.com this week it is really an honor. I was curious what your thoughts are on the difference between pasteurized cheese and un-pasteurized cheese. Does the process of pasteurizing the cheese really destroy a lot of the flavor and do you feel it is a necessary process for small batch artisan cheeses?

2. sid cook

sid cook

I enjoy raw milk cheeses and have probably made more raw that pasteurized......those were the good old days of walking to school up hill in 6 inches of snow......

Absolutely not.....you can chose and blend culture is get the right flavor profile in a pasteurized cheese. It is easier to control flavor and consistency and body..

When you use raw milk you have a vastly different flora in the milk on a daily basis.... seasonally, weather, point in lactation cycle of the animal.
    You have to many variables for a consistly good product......for maybe 2% of the total being better than Pasteurized and 80% not being as good.

Sid Cook

3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thanks for your answer Sid. So if I am understanding you correctly you are saying you get a more consistent cheese product with the pasturized milk?

4. tuscan chef

tuscan chef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    When I was at the university of Agricolture, microbiology and fermentation exam. professor asked (1989) if I could get cheese from pasteurized milk, I said yes, he said just bad cheese.

5. fr33_mason

fr33_mason

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I could see how pasteurized milk would be more consistent as you have near-full control over the bacterial cultures that are present to create the desired characteristics. 

In biology we were taught that in the microbial world, nothing will "set up shop", that is in general of course, where something is already 'open for buisness'.  In short, the added cultures don't have any competition in pasteurized milk as opposed to unpasteurized.

Never would have thought of that so thanks Sid.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.