Dick brand sharpener.

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by richjonesy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. richjonesy

richjonesy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just had an electric dick sharpener brought for the kitchen by the bosses,

It's the 150 model shown here
    https://www.dick.de/en/tools-for-ch...rs-75-rs-150-duo-grinding-and-honing-machines

I am really reluctant to use it. I carry a mixed roll of knifes, various ones that I have found I like in my short years in the Kitchen from Mac, Henckels, Dick, Vic, and Global. Oh and Wusthof and always use a steel to sharpen them.

The machine itself looks the real deal but I'm afraid to put say my 8" Mac chefs knife on there in case it becomes unusable.

Has anyone here used one before and if so do you have any tips?

I have a Gloabl filleting knife that I found in the back of my home kitchen drawer a few weeks back I was going to use in it first. I figured as I forgot I had it, if it does get ruined then so be it. Also my wife has been using it as a screwdriver when I'm at work (I know) so I've had to straighten the tip of it out so it's far from good at the minute!

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I hope your not wearing a kilt! (A bit of a juvenile inside joke).

In general you'll not find much support here for sharpening machines. But sometimes they are useful in a real kitchen. I wouldn't use it on anything but a German (or maybe even American) knife though. The harder steel and shallower angle of Japanese knives (including Global and Shun) probably won't be well served by that machine.

3. richjonesy

richjonesy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks, I don't have to use it I suppose but it's there so I'm curious now.
    I may wait for someone else to break it in first. We have a load of Vic chef knifes brought for us to so I may stick to one of them t it's blunt then use that as a practice knife.

And don't worry, kilt free here.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Just a title edit....

5. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    go to Dollar Tree or similar and spend a dollar or 2 on a basic knife to test. unless you are real careful and machine is adjusted just right, all you are going to do is convert knife to steel dust.

6. richjonesy

richjonesy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah that's my fear. I think I'll stick to the old fashioned way of sharpening for now and leave it to the chefs who don't care as much for their knives.

7. richjonesy

richjonesy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I much preferred my original title. I mean has anyone ever actually sharpened their......?

8. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A
    A rather perverse individual I knew posted some pics on his LiveJournal found on the internet, of a man doing something some orders of magnitude beyond that to his privates. Extreme Fetish really doesn't adequately describe the act.

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If he posted that on the internet, they weren't "privates". Ha ha ha.

10. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never had any problem using an electric sharpener. Less than 1-minute and It's ready to go. when any knife I have gets too ground away I'll toss it and get a new one. For me, knives are tools; sharp or useless. I have no love-affair with expensive knives.

We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.

brianshaw likes this.
  11. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I wouldn't use it on the MAC especially, why destroy a good knife? If you don't care about the other knives getting even thicker at the edge, in short order, than they already are then feel free. But thin edges is what makes cutting a breeze, even on crap stainless.