Dexter Russell New Haven Oyster Knife vs. LamsonSharp Oyster Knife

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by dave kinogie, May 9, 2013.

1. dave kinogie

dave kinogie

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Can anyone add to or create a little debate here?

I was looking at these two knives specifically just for personal home shucking of oysters. In general oysters, I don't strictly stick to one type, truthfully more so just grab what's fresh from local places.

Open to suggestions if you prefer a different knife then these two, but want to stay below 20 bucks and prefer a wood handle and a blade of less then 3 inches and honestly like the look of these, both of which seem to get solid reviews on Amazon and the such.

Thanks in advance.

2. hpross

hpross

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Both are the same type of oyster knife. A New Haven style shape and therefore best for opening oysters that come from new haven. That said I like the Lamson a little more as it has a metal cuff which can act as a stopper for the knife, if you like having your fingers closer to the blade. Due to the blade shape they should be a treat to open oysters with...wider blade means more leverage for the pop. But may be a bit clumsy separating the abductor muscle - due to the curved shape. 

My favorite knife is the Paddy Shucker, which is more of a boston or chesapeake style blade with an ergo handle. I prefer the longer thiner blade types as it can get into more kinds of oysters and is more precise. But if you want a blade shorter than 3 inches, then these look like a good bet. 

3. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I really like the Dexter Russel Oyster knives with the Sani-Safe handle and they make numerous blade styles. The problem I've always had with wood handled Oyster knives is that the blade eventually comes loose.

4. dave kinogie

dave kinogie

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Thanks for the replies guys, a little late I am haha.

I wound up ordering the Dexter Russel one, it's pretty nice, but it has a design flaw where there's a recess that goes into the handle that makes it hard to clean and dry.

The handle itself is pretty damn rough, not something a little sandpaper can't help, but A) I am lazy and forgetful and B) I hope for better fit and finish when this knife cost double to quadruple what the cheapo similar ones cost even if it's not expensive on it's own.

Kind of wish I went with the Lamson, it's just more aesthetically pleasing TBH, but they were sold out of it when I went to order. Overall, it's not something I use constantly and it really is quite solid, so not that big a deal though.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013