Deviled Egg Recipes?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by itallianojomama, Jun 2, 2013.

1. itallianojomama

itallianojomama

Exp:
    At home cook
    So the concept of deviling eggs terrifies me. I didn't even start liking deviled eggs until this year when a friend made some spicy deviled eggs with tabasco sauce. However, I live in China and she's gone and I'm clueless how to make the best, most succulent, spicy deviled eggs. No clue as to techniques, etc...Suggestions? What are some do's and don't's?

2. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    GRATED YOLK ,S&P, TOBBASCO, WORCHESTIRE,MUSTARD, MAYO. GARNISH OF CHOICE

I ADD A DROP OF BUTTER TO MY MIX SO IT DOES NOT DISCOLOR AT ROOM TEMP AND ADDS TO RICHNESS OF MIX.

3. itallianojomama

itallianojomama

Exp:
    At home cook
    How long do you hard-boil the egg for? 

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Can you ask your friend how she does it?  I'm sure she'd be willing to share her tips.

There's a great inspirational food website called tastespotting.com and I often go there for ideas and presentation.  The recipes are from all around the world and the pictures are amazing.  I typed deviled eggs in the search box and voila, page after page of good info.

http://www.tastespotting.com/search/deviled+eggs/1

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Place eggs in pot , cover with cold water. Bring to boil. Remove from heat , let stand 10 minutes, remove eggs and place them in ice cold water, peel. You will not get grey eggs this way.

If you like heat then you can always use wasabi.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  6. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    really?

7. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yup, "hard-boiled" is a misnomer in my book, hard-cooked is more accurate. Can't remember the temperature that egg yolk solidifies but IIRC it is around 155°F-165°F. They come out much better if they do NOT boil!

8. itallianojomama

itallianojomama

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the site. I'm sure I will use this for much more than these deviled eggs! :)

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Every now and then I make red devil eggs.  Basically deviled eggs with a very spicy filling, but the eggs are pickled with beets so the red colors the egg white.  I should make another batch soon.

mjb.

10. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    dill weed, dill relish, cayenne, ground chipotle pepper, mayo, dijon mustard, minced white onions, chives, smoked paprika

I made some this past Memorial Day weekend

smoky, spicy, tart, YUMMY!

never thought of wasabi though, petals, I'll try that next time!

phillycook likes this.
  11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Please post pictures when you do! I'd love to see what those red eggs look like. Sounds fun. 

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Will do.

The spices used to build Indian curries tend to play well with eggs, there's another avenue to explore.

mjb.

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You'll find lots of examples of that and other colorings in the link I posted. http://www.tastespotting.com/search/deviled+eggs/1

14. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Well.....I don't know. Mario Batali makes them this way, mind you he stops at 9 minutes, I let them sit for 10. Serious Eats does them for ten....

15. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK, let me clarify: do not "boil" them for ten minutes, bring them to a boil, remove from heat, let sit 8-12 minutes (done to your satisfaction /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif)

What I was attempting to explain was that they do NOT have to be raised to 212°F (boiling) for the entire time.

16. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've had good results with steaming for 9-10 min and pressure cooking for 5 min with a 5 min cool down.

Both methods resulted in very easy to peel eggs

17. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Definately the best way to go!

Easiest to peel eggs ever - you can even use 'farm-fresh' eggs!

I'm hesitant to post this part as I'll start to seem like a shill but if  you want to know in an easy way (without buying McGee and a half dozen other books)

The Food Lab http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-food-lab-science-of-how-to-cook-perfect-boiled-eggs.html

Has more information than you ever really need to know on the subject and a fair amount of it is splitting hairs!

---- to skip the link --- put em in a pot bring to a boil, remove from the heat and let sit for approx 10 minutes~

Personally though I always recommend preassure steaming.  It really is the best way.

18. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Why do threads with hard cooked eggs in them always turn into a how to cook them thread?

19. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Perhaps because too many have no idea as to how to cook them? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

20. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Exactly - just recently a couple FoH staff had a disagreement and came back into the kitchen to ask the Chef whether they should boil them for 12 or 20 minutes!  They were concerned that any less time would not be sufficient to kill all the "bugs" that are inside the eggs.    Reminded me of the whole cancer and pigs cooking time thing...  sheesh poor Chef should have gotten overtime that day.