Chef Forum banner

deveining shrimp

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kuan 
#1 ·
does anyone know how to devein a shrimp leaving the shell and tail compleatly intact??...please explain :confused:

thanks!
mikey

#2 ·
You could try to pull the vein out from the head end (using tweezers :rolleyes: ), but the vein might snap. Otherwise, I doubt it's possible to keep the shell 100 percent intact. The least invasive thing to do is simply split the shell on the side with the vein -- no need to actually remove the shell -- and pull out the vein. I assume you're using headless shrimp?

But you know, it isn't always necessary to devein. Only is the contents of the vein are gritty, or for aesthetic reasons if the vein is very dark.

#3 ·
my friend gave me the answer today!

with the heads off, and without slitting the shell lengtwise, you can grab a little part of the tail and pull. this will take the vein right out, and keeps the tail virtualy intact!...cool huh? :roll:

thanks suzanne
mikey

#8 ·
Heh, I just don't see it. Peel and eat shrimp... "ooh check it out Kitty, someone's already deveined the shrimp for us!" ;)

I hope your shrimp are big. If you get the U-5 shrimp you can do them like lobsters. Split the shell along the top where the vein runs and devein, pull the meat out so it lays on top of the shell and broil them that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.