Desweeting food

Joined Nov 9, 2020
Fost thought immediately goes to acids - Vinegars, Citrus juice (lime), etc. You need to figure out, however, what works with your flavor profile. You can also go with some "sour" sairy (sour cream, cream cheese, roquefort or other non-sweet cheese... A chef I worked for used walnut "flour". The biggest part is to NOT throw your flavor profile in the gutter... E-Z does it until it's to the level of unsweeter you desire.

Joined Oct 22, 2020
It would be helpful if you mentioned the type of dish.
In some cases, just serving at a lower temperature can reduce the sweetness perception.

Reactions: Dre
Joined Apr 29, 2019
yeah i mean one would assume youre talking about desserts - puddings, tarts, cakes, cookies? its really not clear

Like one could point out that sugar is a pretty key building block to the structure of certain traditional cake recipes - it does more than just provide sweetness. But that advice and any stemming from it would be utterly useless if youre talking about making..say...a coq au vin less sweet

Joined Jul 7, 2020
sorry forgot to mention; its a red wine butter sause that the wine was made from home brew but it had not fermented in time so still sugar in the wine

Joined Oct 22, 2020
In that case I would use a citrus juice or red wine vinegar to offset the sweetness. Extra butter will cut the sweetness some as well.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
intersting point blue!

Citrus juices would be my choise her but with out the sweetness from the fruit
Red wine vinegar for a red wine sauce makes sence!
But butter I would of said no! to sweet; what about olive oil?

Thanks

Top Bottom