Dessert Wine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by isa, Nov 27, 2000.

1. isa

isa

I have a recipe for a Ice Wine & Hot pepper Jelly, I'd like to make it for my father. My problem is that I do not want to use ice wine, very expensive, for a jelly. It is said that ice wine could be replaces by a sweet dessert wine. My knowledge of wine is limited, I know nothing about dessert wine. Could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

Sisi

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sisi, A aulese would work, essenssia orange Muscat, Any late harvest Johannisberg riesling,Any inexspenive sautern or barsac would also work ,They will lend a different flavor than would an Ice wine. But will be very tasty on there own. What are you planning on serving with this jelly?
    cc

3. isa

isa

Cape Chef,

Thank you for all the suggestions. Riesling sounds great, haven't had any since I was in Germany. On the other hand, I never tasted Sauterne but read about it in many French novels. It would give me a chance to taste some. Eventually I am sure I'll make up my mind.

I am not planning on serving the jelly. My dad loves really love spicy things so I thought I would make this jelly for him as a Christmas present.

Sisi

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would look for a very inexpensive dessert wine. Even a low end Sauterns would be too expensive to use, considering the end product. I assume you will be cooking the jelly. Between cooking, boiling and the hot pepper's all the nuances of the wine will be lost and all you will really be left with is the sweetness and some of the flavor. I would go with something inexpensive such as a sweet sparkling Italian wine or a Late Harvest Reisling from the US or South Africa.

5. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What about Bonny Doon Muscat Cannelli? It comes in a half bottle, and it's not too expensive and quite yummy.

Not being a cook, I remember my mother using lots of sugar when she made jelly. I bet I would try some cheap riesling to see if I liked the flavor profile, and then I would add sugar in the jelly-making process. (Have I blasphemed?)

Remember that if you reduce the wine, flavor characteristics that don't relate to alcohol will get more intense - good and bad flavor characteristics.

6. isa

isa

Sparkling wine in a jelly? I have to say Pete I would never have thought of that. Wonder what would happen to the sparkling in the jelly. You are right about the sugar, the recipe calls for one bottle, 375 ml wine for 3 1/2 cups sugar. Guess I shouldn't use a already sweet wine with all that sugar. In fact maybe I should cut down on the sugar, or would that be asking for trouble?

Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sisi, unless you are well versed in the making of jelly, I suggest that you follow the recipe exactly. There is a real science behind the making of jelly. Pectin requires three things for it to set properly: acid, heat and sugar. If you start messing around with the amount of ingredients you run the risk of your jelly not setting properly. After you have made a few batches of jelly and start to understand how pectin behaves then you can start experimenting with ratios and your own recipes.

8. isa

isa

Pete,

After I wrote that I realised it wasn't a good idea. Having never made jelly I thought, just like you mention that I should follow the recipe, at least for the first time.

I'm going to the wine shop tomorrow to explore my options, read check the prices. **** I'll look into quality Sauternes. Like you say there are things that we have to try at least once.

9. isa

isa

I went to the wine store on Friday. I couldn't find half bottle of Riesling or Sauterne. The clerk recommended a late harvest Chilean Sauvignon. He said it's a sweet wine that would go well with the pepper. I'd like to know what you think about this wine?

Thanks!

10. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sisi, This should also work well. Semmilion and sauvignon blanc are the two grapes used for sauternes. I have not had one from Chili,but would imagine it is a decent wine
    cc

11. isa

isa

Thanks Cape Chef. I'll let you know how it works out., Now all I need is liquid pectin and I can't find any. [​IMG]