dessert consomme

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by isaac, Nov 22, 2001.

1. isaac

isaac

anyone ever make a dessert consomme... maybe like a fruit consomme and if so, how?

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think I have seen it on a menu or two but I have never tried it. If I remember correctly it was a fresh berries in a vanilla flavored consomme? Can't quite remember.

3. dlee

dlee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    isaac,

Here is a quick and easy recipe...Kinda...

Use three or more melons to make this recipe. Take any three melons, take off the skin and take out the seeds. In a blender or a food processor puree. Add a little honey if desired or any other flavoring / a squeeze of lemon / lime juice or maybe a splash of alcohol.

Then in a china cap lined with a large coffee filter strain the pulp out, this may take a bit of time. If you don't have a china cap or a large coffee filter. Just sub. a small strainer and regular coffee filter. This will take a bit longer.

To finish this dish, in a bowl place a few different exotic fruits in the center of the bowl. Slowly pour the consomme into the bowl, garnish with mint sprigs and or tiny thyme sprigs (thyme actually works).

D.Lee

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Issac,
    This is a somewhat involved recipe from my personal inspirational chef Jean Louis Palladin. Though involved, the depth of flavor shows why he is the best of the best. I will give you the readers digest version.

2.5# watermelon
    1.75# seeded honeydew melon
    1# seeded canteloupe
    1.25 cups High Quality Sauternes + 2-3 tablespoons
    3 cups good quality meat or vegetable consomme

Raft

1/4 cup fine chopped carrots
    same celery
    same onions
    same leeks white and green parts
    same unpeeled turnips
    same tomatoes
    2T fine shallots
    4 lg. sprigs parsley
    1 lg clove garlic
    1 cup egg whites (8 eggs)

mint leaves for garnish

Scoop 16-18 melon balls from each melon. Seed the watermelon as you go. Place in bowl with 1/4 cup sauternes and hold chilled.
    Scoop remaining pulp and seed as necc. get 4 cups. Process in food proc. and strain in fine chinoise. Should yield 2 cups or so puree. Place puree in sauce pan. Add the consomme and 1 cup wine. Bring to a boil. Process vegetables as in a consomme raft procedure. Strain as with consomme procedure and refrigerate 3 hours.
    Jean Louis serves this with the melon balls divided and a blanched julienne of Carrots, Celery and Leeks (whites only) and chilled. Just before serving add the 2-3 tablespoons Sauternes and season to taste with S & P. Garnish with mint leaves or Lemon Verbena.

Note:
    He uses this as a Summer appetizer. To make more Dessert like. I would suggest using a vegetable consomme as a base and cutting back on the vegetables on the raft, using more of a straight protein raft heavier on the egg whites, add nut meats and some Vanilla perhaps.

5. w.debord

w.debord

I've made several fruit soups, but a fruit consomme....depends upon what you mean. Since titles/names can be twisted so much.

In many respects Chroses consomme isn't too far from a any fruit soup except for his use of veg. stock (which is different than any dessert soup recipes I've seen).

I would use extracted fresh fruit juices and puree (but not a thick fruit puree), probably using a combination of fruits and a splash of wine. Maybe a herb infused simple syrup to flavor (No chuncks of fruit for a consomme, I'd keep it clear), topped with a fine chifonade of mint or any other herb to compliment.

6. pollyg

pollyg

I used to make this strawberry soup quite a bit and it's easy.
    Thinly slice a whole lot of strawberries and toss them with castor sugar. Place them in a colander over a bowl and leave them overnight. Strain the juice through a fine sieve if necessary. The trick is to never press down on the fruit and you will get a clear, consomme-like soup.
    You can also do the same thing with raspberries.

7. msc

msc

Hi Dessert Consomme , no problem all you have to do is simmer the fruit of your choice for a short time as if your making a fruit coullis , with vanille , sugar and such , turn the heat off and let it maserate for a time.
    Strain it well and Bobs your uncle , fruit consomme .

8. palmier

palmier

We once made a fruit 'minestroni' by blending up a watermellon, and let it sit overnight in a china cap with a coffee filter. The juice is a very clear almost opaque light pink. One large mellon can make enough soup for 10 bowls. Sliced fruit, julienne crepes....have the server offer shaved white chocolate on top.

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Palmier, where ya been?

10. palmier

palmier

I quit the food biz....now im sellin coffee. I was way too busy for a few months.......thats a post for another thread. over 2000 people here, im surprised anyone missed me. Great to be back!

11. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It's good to have you back. Tell us what happened, when you get a chance. And how do you like your new line of work?