Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ACHFood, Feb 8, 2018.

Sponsored Dessert Challenge by Karo Corn Syrup

Prize giveaway: Ready to spoil your sweetheart with our sweet dessert challenge?
By ACHFood, Feb 8, 2018 | |
  1. ACHFood

ACHFood Sponsor

Exp:
    competition-1024x349.jpg

Hi everyone,

We have a special challenge this month: What's your favorite dessert recipe using Karo corn syrup?

How to Enter:

1. Reply to this thread and post up a photo and/or recipe using karo corn syrup
    2. Tell us why it's your favorite!

Check out our Overview tab on the upper-right corner of this thread or see some recipes here for ideas: https://cheftalk.com/ams/dessert-challenge-by-karo-corn-syrup.29411/

A winner will be selected on Feb 28th at 5 PM Pacific.

One lucky winner will receive the following prize package:
    - A special award badge on their profile to showcase their status
    - Have their selected recipe featured on ChefTalk's front page
    - A Karo mystery prize box sent to them (we'll reveal the treasures closer to the drawing!)

Rules:
    1. You must be a registered user of ChefTalk.com and be in good standing with at least 5 posts.
    2. You must have a valid email on file with your ChefTalk.com account. (This is how we'll contact you if you are the winner.)
    3. Each member is only allowed one entry per day (24 hours). A user may have a maximum of 7 entries.

See here for our full contest rules here.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Sharonne Mundy likes this.
  2. Yogesh

Yogesh

Exp:
    Yes, blogging, food blogging
    Nice contest!

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wow!

4. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    "No mechanically reproduced entries are allowed and any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or the like entry methods will void all such entries by such methods."

I want to see some entries by a robot just for kicks. Anyone?

Sharonne Mundy likes this.
  5. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    The contest is extended to the 28th now?

HellaSteph likes this.
  6. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, we were asked to give our friends more time to send in their entries.

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Tough one. I haven't opened my bottle of syrup in over a year, or maybe two. Just not something I really use

nicko likes this.
  8. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Even tougher is the fact that the contest is limited to the U.S. only. The members here seem to come from all over the world.

9. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    I don't use corn syrup either. I'll just make a simple syrup from cane sugar or raw honey to substitute with on the very few occasions I make anything needing it. That way, I avoid the possibility of GMO corn possibly ending up in my bottle.:wow:

10. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Let me see if can talk to the sponsor to adjust to accept additional entries. It's more of the fact that we want to send a physical prize and that gets hard when there's international shipping (and customs) to deal with.

11. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Actually @Pat Pat most of our base is US so we don't do contests outside of that. The problem is the cost of shipping become so high and complicated. We did one contest that was open to all and we had to ship prizes to Egypt, and it was just to costly. In the end we would rather provide contests to the primary body of members rather than not have contests because we can't include 2% of the community.

12. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    I guess you would know best. Just that quite a number of people from the threads I read seem to be outside the U.S., so I assumed there's a lot.

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Interesting. No actual entries yet. Does Karo make a product that is not based on high fructose corn syrup?

mjb.

14. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Karo makes regular, light, dark, and a pancake syrup. The light version advertises no high fructose corn syrup. They are owned by Ach which has a bunch of corn and baking labels like Mazola, Argo, Fleischmanns and a couple more brands I don't recognize.

15. ACHFood

ACHFood Sponsor

Exp:
    Hi - great question. Neither Karo Light nor Karo Dark contain high fructose corn syrup. We have several great recipes on our website, my favorite is the fireball Pecan Pie Syrup: http://karofoodservice.com/Recipes/search/category/Dessert/Pie

16. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My husband’s family goes wild for Sticky Cinnamon Buns. If you put a dish of these down, they’re gone shortly there-after. I make this recipe every Christmas Morning for him.
    I just love to bake :)

[​IMG]

My SIL’s Sticky Cinnamon Buns

Dough:

1 C. Sour Cream

3 C. All Purpose Flour, divided

1 pkg. Dry Rapid Rise Yeast

¼ C. Warm Water

2 Tbsp. softened Butter

1 tsp. Salt

1 Egg, beaten

Filling:

1 stick (½ C.) softened Butter

½ C. Granulated Sugar

1 Tbsp. ground Cinnamon

1 C. chopped Nuts

½ C. Raisins (optional)

Prep two 9 inch cake pans

(or a 9×13 inch pan with double the ingredients below) with:

1/3 C. Dark Karo Syrup and ¼ C. Brown Sugar

Preheat the oven to 375⁰

Heat the sour cream over low heat in a small saucepan, just until lukewarm.

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water; set aside to proof.

In a Food Processor, combine the warm sour cream, butter, salt, egg and yeast mixture with 1 cup of the flour until smooth. Add the remaining flour, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl; continue to process for 30 seconds.

Turn the dough out into a large, greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled in size (overnight is fine).

On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to 24 inches by 12 inches.

Spread the stick of softened butter all over the rolled dough, leaving a ½ inch boarder on the edge farthest from you.

Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the butter.

Now sprinkle the nuts (and optional raisins).

Roll the dough away from you, as tightly as possible, into a jelly roll; pinch the edge together, placing the seam down on the countertop.

Cut into 16 even pieces and place 8 pieces, cut side down into each of the prepared pans (or all of them into the larger 9X13' pan); allow to rise for about an hour.

Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the pans half way through, until the buns are firm but not hard (an additional 15 minutes may be required).

Remove from the oven to cool for about a minute; then turn out onto a plate.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  17. ACHFood

ACHFood Sponsor

Exp:
    Your sticky cinnamon buns look amazing! Thank you for sharing!

18. ACHFood

ACHFood Sponsor

Exp:
    Here is a preview of a few of the things that will be in the Karo Mystery Box. Can't wait to see the rest of the entries!! FullSizeRender.jpg

19. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I use this recipe quite a bit. It’s a good compliment and adds crunch. There is a fine line between the caramel ready and it being over cooked. I really do love it though, especially with coffee flavors. Also used it coated in chocolate on a candy plate.

Honeycomb candy

1 ½ C sugar

½ c water

¼ c corn syrup

1 T baking soda

cook first three until amber, swirling to evenly distribute the burning.

Remove from heat and immediately stir in sifted baking soda and whisk to distribute. Immediately pour onto prepared sheetpan (parchment or silpat, ungreased).

flipflopgirl, HellaSteph and ACHFood like this.
  20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Mahalo, thanks!
    I don't make these Sticky Buns as often as DH would like, but when I do (GEEZ! that sounds like a commercial :rolleyes:)
    I always have a jar of Dark Karo in my my pantry.