Desperately need help slow roasting beef

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by thealphabeta, Jan 8, 2017.

1. thealphabeta

thealphabeta

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi All

I'm in desperate need of some advice.

I'm cooking a roast for friends today and following this recipe for slow roast rump - http://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/ultra-slow-roast-rump

I have a neff oven that allows you to use an integrated meat probe and cook to temp which I'm doing.  

I seared the meat as per the recipe, about 2 minutes on each side, on a 1.25kg beef rump cut.  I did this in a griddle pan on high heat.

The oven is set to 75C again as per recipe.  I've had the joint in for a little over an hour and the countdown on the oven is now saying 20 mins before it reaches 57C for medium rare?  The recipe says 4-5 hours for the same weight joint, so now im really worried about what I've done to reach 57C so soon?  It just doesn't sound right.  Lunch isn't until 1-2pm today so I don't want it to be ready so soon.

What am I doing?  I've double checked with another meat probe that I have and the reading on both probes right now is 45C

I'm worried im going to cut into this and it's raw in the middle, even if the probe says otherwise?

Thanks in advance

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    You checked the temp of the meat...how about ambient oven temp?

Those little round thermometers are cheap so buy 3 and place in different areas of your oven and calibrate from there.

mimi

3. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    That oven temp seems really low... low heat cooking to me is 275f (135c) or so in the oven...

4. zeppo shanski

zeppo shanski

Exp:
    Other
    Opening and closing the oven a whole bunch of times doesn't really help the cooking so much.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  5. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Well I went through a bit of a similar ordeal over this past Christmas. I was following a recipe for beef tenderloin that was designed to cook it very slow.. at 225F/107C and my temp started climbing rapidly. I ended up opening the door a few times and lowered my oven temp to slow the crawl so that it would be ready when we wanted. You should do the same. I had a meat probe in mine.. but I also use this instant read. I was pretty happy with how mine came out

koukouvagia and french fries like this.
  6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Gorgeous....

mimi

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yeah all that needs is a Kaiser roll, shaved red onion and some horse radish.  Yummy

8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Let's rumble (do they even say that any more? ;-)

Onion roll and Pickapeppa...and I will borrow some of your red onion but could you slice a bit thicker?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

mimi

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Love Pickapeppa - it's a great source for tamarind when building sauces.  As for "Rumble" I listened to it the other day at work.  Link Wray just the other day - enjoy!!   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

mimi