Desperate in Asia

Joined Jul 15, 2006
I know this may sound like a pretty strange question but, here it goes. I am a retiree living in the Philippines and cooking is my life. Until recently I have been able to obtain a browning and flavoring sauce known as "Kitchen Bouquet". For the last 50 years I have been using Kitchen Bouquet in sauces, gravys, soups, etc. Unfortunately, the importer stopped supplying it. I tried going on the internet and I found some "recipes" for Kitchen Bouquet but when I tried them all I ended up with was a foul, extremely bitter, burnt brown sugar. I am hoping that someone will take pity on this old cook and tell me either how to make Kitchen Bouquet or give me a way to make a substitute as I am lost with-out it. Needless to say many, many of the brand name products are unattainable here so pls try to keep it basic. Thank you

Joined May 24, 2009
As far as I know, this is only made by Clorox in California so it will have to be imported.  A little bit goes a long way so have someone in the states send you a case.  PM me.

Here is the ingredient list:

caramel, vegetable base (water, carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, turnips, salt, parsley, spices), sodium benzoate  and sulfiting agents

My best guess for a recipe:

Melt 1/2 c of sugar in a pan.  Carefully add 2 cups of vegetable stock and let the sugar dissolve.  Reduce a bit and try it out.

Top Bottom