Denver steak tastes like hamburger mixed with rotten eggs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by spicyfood, Sep 5, 2017.

1. spicyfood

spicyfood

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    3 days ago I got a denver steak, the first day I cooked two slices medium rare but the steak had a pungent egg after taste. I thought maybe it was because the butter burned when I was searing it. So I tried again yesterday, 1min sear both sides without throwing butter over it. Then in the oven for 13 minutes, this time I cooked it to medium. But that nasty flavor was still there. I let my family member have a taste and they said it tastes like tainted meat. He thought I was crazy when I said it tasted like hamburger and eggs. But when he tried it he agreed and said it tastes like the meat went bad.

I Didn't buy this steak, It was given to me from someone. The sell by date was the same date when I got it. I think the steak may of been left out to dethaw, then it was refrozen after bacteria started growing. I'm guessing that's what happen because I've had a cut of steak taste so disgusting. I've never ate tainted meat either so Idk if that rotten egg after taste is really from the meat.

Anyone know if the denver steak just tastes like shit, or if it was tainted.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You may want to do what I do... I don't accept food donations. I'm embarrassed to say this but had a similar issue with baked good from my elderly mother. We now accept, thank, throw away... and then try not to have to lie about the situation.

Although this is not likely to be the problem, but did you sear in a pan previously used to cook eggs?

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Sulfur (bad egg) is usually a sign of meat gone bad.

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Stock up on toilet paper, you are going to need it! That meat was bad!

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It has nothing to do with the cut of meat and everything to do with the quality. You ate bad meat. I hope you didn't eat the whole thing, and if you did...why?

In the future trust your gut.

6. spicyfood

spicyfood

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I ate the whole thing, I just dipped it in steak sauce because the rotten egg flavor was too much.

7. spicyfood

spicyfood

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Welp I guess I can't blame the cut of meat then. But I don't think I'm going to ever buy a denver steak again, i'll stick to ribeyes.

8. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, again, it has nothing to do with the cut. The cut doesn't matter. Why do you think it has something to do with the type of steak? A ribeye can go bad just like a Denver cut. You said you'll never buy one again...I thought you said it was given to you?

Anyways...good luck to you.

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Never heard of a Denver cut, had to look it up. Is it a regional thing?
    Chuck's chuck.
    I'm with brianshaw on freebies, I don't take them, if I do it ends up in the bin.
    My folks bring home stuff leftover from the church picnic, etc leftovers that sat in the hot car all day, something that the neighbor gave that was given to them. I pound my head on the table about this with them, they just don't get it. Her standard answer, we haven't gotten sick, yet.

10. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Well being that I tend to know what's in food with me it depends what kind of food is being given. Generally if it's a food such as tomato sauce based that's high in acid it can be a bit safer.
    But never underestimate your very best friend your nose. Your second best friend would be your taste buds.
    And heat. I've seen food left in the fridge for 7 days that smelled just fine. But nuke that bi.....brat for 30 seconds and all is revealed.

One of my daughters is the one that goes to a lot of friends get-togethers etc with food, also out to eat a lot. She's always bringing stuff back, dumping it in the fridge for days, often without labeling it. Im constantly on her about it. But my kids have been raised since they were little to heat it up and smell it-- if anything is off dump it, especially after 3 days.
    You only have to ignore your nose once or twice and get sick to learn your lesson. Then you're hyper sensitive and can smell spring in the air. lol

11. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are several steaks that are cut from the shoulder. Flat iron, shoulder tender/teres major, Denver...it mostly involves seaming out individual muscles from the chuck, and there are a few in there which make a decently tender and flavorful steak when treated right.

So, chuck is indeed chuck, but it can also be many other things, depending on how it is butchered.