Delmonico Steak

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by asoefatida, Jan 4, 2011.

1. asoefatida

asoefatida

Exp:
    Butcher
    I am tired of listening people feeding misinformation. Whether it be other stores/restaurants or my coworkers.

I had always used the eye of the ribeye.

What have you used, or seen advertised as a Delmonico Steak?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I've always called it a ribeye.  The less confusion the better.

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The word delmonico steak makes me drool.  I always thought it was used interchangeably with the word ribeye.

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Take a look at What is a Delmonico Steak and you will see:

5. asoefatida

asoefatida

Exp:
    Butcher
    which one have you used?

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never served "Delmonico Steak" (maybe because I think that it is only served at Delmonico's?? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif) . I have served Ribeye, New York Strip, Kansas City Strip, and I've eaten Spencer steak.

7. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Pete, what is a Spencer steak? I've never heard that term before.

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I believe that spencer steak is another name for Scotch fillet.

mjb.

9. asoefatida

asoefatida

Exp:
    Butcher
    ribeye

10. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, it is the specialty of the house at Jocko's in Nipomo, CA /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifbut according to AskTheMeatMan , (I just discovered), it is, um, ah, also known as a, wait for it....Delmonico steak!

One learns something everyday! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

11. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now, that's funny! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

12. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The regional differences in marketing terms for both meats and vegetables make life really tough for many people.  I goe through this frequently with my wife and we often end up arguing when she comes back from a market telling me that the "meat man" or the "vegetable man" says there is nothing called (insert whatever I wrote on the grocery list).  Now I point to the body part I want and tell my wife to go to the butcher and slap her shoulder while saying "Puerco" when I want a pork picnic.  Believe it or not, it really works!  If I want a ham...

13. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a big problem because all the meat cuts here are different - not only different names but different cuts. 

Sora, fiorentina, spalla, filetto, controfiletto, pancetta, etc etc etc.  I have no idea what they correspond to in the states.  Ribeye? No idea what it is.  It's very annoying when i want to translate recipes (though, admittedly, for me the meat i really like is just grilled or roasted, and as for the rest i'd just as soon eat lentils and chickpeas - it's certainly cheaper.)

Anyone know of some good comparison charts of italian cuts and american ones? 

I find that most of the sites that try to compare anything european and american (starting from shoe sizes, that are never correct) are always somewhat limited by the author's inferior knowledge of the culture that is not their own. 

Like chuck steak, what is that anyway, what would i have to ask for?  or london broil? 

14. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yeah, I feel the same way:

For me it's been a transition from the Dutch cuts that I'm used to, to the English ones.

Even checking the charts doesn't really work as the whole thing is cut up differently!

I think the Dutch way of cutting is based on the French way and I'm assuming (always a dangerous thing to do) that the Italian cut is quite similar.

Chuck, I've learned, is good for stewing and I use it to make mince as well. But here it is sold quite often as chuck and shoulder together.......

I think we know it under a lot of different names but right now I can't even tell them to you in Dutch, let alone Italian!

But I did find a site that gives names in french as well. Might be interesting to see for the anglo saxon world as well... (http://passie.horeca.nl/fav/De soorten vlees Rund.pdf)

Siduri, can you let me know if this is similar to how beef is cut up in Italy?

15. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you go to Ask The Meatman , you can find the American names for most cuts of meat as well as charts

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

Haha brilliant!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

17. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This could get interesting, a video of the butcher's face when she asked for a breast of lamb ??? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

18. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook

Thanks pete, but i do have charts in books, i just wanted to know if anyone has made a reliable comparison chart.  I can ask for a cut that doesn;t exist here, but probably they would have had to begin by butchering a cow in a whole different way.

Also i can't find any chart on the site except a tiny one which you have to order, but it doesn't seem to open up to view it online.  Or am i looking in the wrong place?

19. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
  20. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Depends in what area of U.S you live in.