Delia Smith Online

Joined Oct 5, 2001
Dear Kimmie:

Deliah is a wonderful cook, teacher, show presenter and she has a heart of gold.

Her recipes are wonderfully traditional and they always work if followed exactly. I personally find her style to be a little unhealthy since she always uses tremendous amounts of butter and eggs but I enjoy her recipes as a special occasional treat to myself.

I had the pleasure of watching her BBC shows, which I enjoyed very much.

:)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I loved her show, too bad it's not on now. She has a new book, How To Cook, I saw it in The Good Cook catalogue but not in bookstores.

Joined Oct 27, 2001
She's very famous here in the UK. Not too healthy, yes. But the traditional puddings in here books are fantastic for winter (when you need the extra layers. . .). When she tries to go 'exotic' it doesn't always work - and there are a lot better, but for traditional britsh puddings, she's really hard to beat for simplicity and results

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I have seen her on the BBC series "Great Chefs" where in one of the episodes, she made Basmati rice. She added the rice straight to the pot without soaking it. I usually soak mine for 30 minutes...Jaffrey and Sahni do it.

Anyone tried Delia's way?

:confused:

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Dear Kimmie

You are full of surprizes for me!!!

I never soak basmati, in fact I have never heard of that way!!

That's the amazing thing when you talk about food, the surprises never seem to end!
I just love that!

:)

PS BTW I have read Papa's point of view about Delia in his message board and I tried her recipes.
They are great and I realize now why I liked them so much: They are not healthy!!

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Hmmm!

My Indian guru is Madhur Jaffrey and she does give the rice a good rinse then soak it for 30 minutes, then drain it. I thought that WAS the way!

You're so right Athenaeus, surprises never seem to end when you talk about food!

:rolleyes:

Joined Oct 27, 2001
For what it's worth, all the Pakistanis I know don't soak their rice either

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I always rinse and soak my rice be it Indian, Chinese or Japanese.

Latest posts

Top Bottom