Deglazing a cassoulet for a decade?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kevin20422, Jun 26, 2010.

1. kevin20422

kevin20422

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I made a simple cassoulet tonight and had to read about the history of the dish.  I heard from a good source, Wikipedia I believe, that there are stories of deglazing the previous cassoulet to make a base for the next one and extending this process over years or even decades.

Is this hogwash?  Are their health concerns?

2. skatz85

skatz85

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i wouldnt trust wiki people can edit that stuff, it may be true but try searching elsewhere

3. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Hmmm would be slightly suspicious of that source.  But then again, in asian cooking there are 100 year old master stocks?  Who knows.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, that's true, some houses do that. And as others pointed, it's not limited to cassoulet, many people do that with their stock and or other stock-based dish. Some bread makers also use live yeasts that are 100+ year old.

Health concern Schmealth concern. Somehow today we think we're safer eating anti-biotic infused hormone raised chicken fed with irradiated chemically fertilized genetically modified corn. Not sure how we came to that point but I don't subscribe to that thought.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010