Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Feb 14, 2014.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We've had a good thaw here in Salt Lake, temps around 45 - 50F, rain instead of snow.  All the accumulated snow and ice is out of the yard.  And with the resurrection of the old boonie pepper thread, I guess it is time for me to start planning what will go into the garden, and when.

mjb.

2. padkeejoe

padkeejoe

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Might I suggest Aji Amarillo?

It's a uniquely flavoursome and prolific yellow chile that will produce an impressive yield in a hot climate.

It's commonly used in South American recipes, but I've found it a fine addition to a wide variety of dishes, sauces and salsa.

There's a bit on it here: http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=aji&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any

along with a host of other relatively obscure chiles.

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Will certainly consider it, sounds like a good one.

mjb.

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    4 foot drifts in the yard but I am in garden mode myself. Searching for a good sweet corn variety that is heirloom and will be good for grinding to cornmeal.  Only planting heirlooms this year so I can save seeds. With the west coast drought fresh veg prices are going to go through the roof so going to need a bigger garden this year.

5. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    my peas are struggling . . .

6. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other
    The old varieties are good, but not a lot of choice.  Yes, you will need to save seeds for the price you are going to pay for the seeds too.  They will charge you for a bushel and you get a couple hundred seeds. I have almost stopped gardening, just a very small one and some tomato plants on the patio.  Hope you thaw out in time to get them in and send me a piece of cornbread when you get it made /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

7. wlong

wlong

Exp:
    Other
    @Delbert, naw they are nice and warm under that snow

8. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The mud is pretty amazing right now in Salt Lake. But 4 feet of new snow in the mountains!--means you can water your garden this year.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  9. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    At my fathers farm, they seem to be planting a sh*t load of stuff. 

Here in Brazil it has been sunny all month , no rain for 3 weeks , and today we had a few drops come down for an hour, but unless it rains for a good 4-24 hours it will most likely be above 30 degrees C tomorrow. 

Anyway dad seems to be planting limes, avocado we already got, plum, pears, mangos, tomatoes, raspberries, papaya, and macadamias. 

Then we have beens a few acres on another territory along with coffee and potatoes. 

heres some pics of the farm :

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    padkeejoe likes this.
  10. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I have a friend that owns a CSA, she will supply me with seeds for free and all she grows are heirloom organics.